hi all

maybe there is a semantics or terminology misunderstanding here
about which side effect/symptom is painful to a parkie

DYSKINESIA is the uncontrollable and involuntary
but 'loose' weaving and bobbing our various body parts do,
mostly when we are overdosed with levodopa

i don't believe dyskinesia is normally considered painful
except for instance
my experience in the shower the other day!

i was leaning on the side wall for extra stability
since i was a tad dyskinetic
and my head was tilted back into the water spray
and my eyes were closed while i washed my hair
(which both contribute to increasing balance problems for me)
and darn it if i didn't bang my head on the (ceramic tile) wall!
luckily i wasn't wildly dyskinetic, or the damage might have been worse!

where was i?
oh yes - semantics - medical terminology

the other term is DYSTONIA,
which is more like muscle cramping or spasming
and there is no doubt that it can be extremely painful, like a 'charley horse'

according to Dr. David Grimes,
it usually occurs in "... the feet or legs,
characterised by painful muscle contractions, similar to cramps.
It is related to low levodopa levels ..."

to which i can relate since one of my newest new symptoms
is occasional dystonia in my left foot,
occuring only in the morning before my meds 'kick in'
(no pun intended)

all of the above notwithstanding,
any doctor whose patient describes a painful symptom
who then denies or minimizes that patient's experience,
needs a refresher course in communication
imho

janet

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/