hi all

in the interests of sharing information,
i find that specifities are more informative than generalities

all of the below is in Canadian dollars (cd$);
to convert to American dollars (us$), multiply by .65 (yikes)
i.e. my disability pension total is cd$930 x .65 = us$604
on second thought, i will go ahead and convert all of the amounts to us$!

my disability pension is comprised of:
a) shelter allowance (rent & electicity & heat & water) cd$414 = us$269
b) basic allowance (food & clothing & telephone & tv/comm) cd$516 = us$335
for a total of cd$930 = us$604 per month.

this amount is subject to some adjustment downward
e.g. if i find my shelter costs are lower than the allowance
but not upward
e.g. if i find my shelter costs are higher than the allowance.

my rent is currently cd$500 = us$325 per month and
my electricity bill is cd$40 = us$26 per month, total cd$540 = us$351 per
month.

thus, current shelter cost is cd$126 = us$82 more than is approved by ODSP;
i am currently registered with the local community support folks
to find subsidised housing so as to lower this cost to ODSP guidelines

my qualification for disability is not subject to review
since pd is incurable and progressive.

the disability qualification entitles me to
essentially free medications:

e.g. my most recent prescriptions were priced as follows
200 fluoxetine 20 mg                      cd$228 = us$148
120 selegiline 5 mg                       cd$173 = us$113
420 levo/carbi/dopa 100/10 mg             cd$123 =  us$80
200 sinemet cr 100/25 mg                  cd$132 =  us$86

monthly medications total                 cd$656 = us$427

my actual out-of-pocket expense             cd$8 =   us$5

our universal health care system means that other medical costs
are free; e.g. doctors' visits, and hospitalisation

the disability qualification also entitles me to many other benefits
as indicated and as they arise:
e.g.
escorted transportation services
handicapped parking sticker
various assistive devices
personal care workers
home care workers
meals on wheels

some of the above items have costs attached to them
some are subsidised and
some are free

some are available easily
some are back-logged with waiting lists

when all is said and done
and
having looked around the planet a good bit
i feel extremely lucky and grateful to be able to live where i do

janet

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/