Date sent:              Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:22:04 -0600
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Charles T. Meyer, M.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: PD Impairment and Driving
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Regarding driving,  I had a scary  experience last week.   I was
> making a left turn out of my development and almost  hit a family of
> pedestrians who we out for a stroll.  They were scared but unhurt.
> After by DBS surgery I went to a driver evaluation program at a local
> hospital with a driving test given after I was cleared.  Yet I had not
> driven for 2 years and was rusty.  In the intervening time I have
> driven a maximum of 20 miles away from home and stopped driving at
> night  because my night vision is awful.  I tend to judge things
> closer  than they actually  are which causes me to top break too soon
> and makes a hazard out me for other cars.

Charlie,

Get a visual field study done.  It sounds almost as if you may have a
left homonymous hemianopsia, possibly related to the passage of the
electrode for the DBS.  It's easy enough to find out.

If you have it, the treatment is tincture of time.  The vision adjusts to it
within a few months or so.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555
PLEASE NOTE:  Because of the takeover of IBMNET by
AT&T, my new e-mail address, effective immediately,
is:

The old <ibm.net> address will no longer
function after March 1, 2001.  PLEASE CHANGE
YOUR ADDRESS BOOKS.

Charles T. Meyer, M.D.
Middleton, WI
PD DX  12 years (at age 44)