hi all

At 21:57 2001/02/28 EST, : Kate Yamokoski wrote:
>--part1_d7.2f91a1b.27cf1491_boundary
>
>Greg,
>I was reading something you posted a while ago where you
>mentioned having a 2nd pallidotomy this past summer.  Would
>you mind sharing about your history? I noticed that you are
>only 40 and have had this disease since you were 28. Did you
>take Sinemet?  My husband is 48, dx. 3 years ago, and is
>fearful of Sinemet. He's been on several dopamine agonists
>and Symmetril and Selegaline. His major problem is rigidity
>with muscle spasm and imbalance. I think we're both afraid
>that he might not benefit from Sinemet and if not, there's
>not much they can do at this point, until stem cell replacement
>someday, hopefully. We're also fearful of dyskenesias from
>Sinemet and I'm just fearful cuz the disease seems to really
>be progressing.Any input is helpful. Thank you, Kate

fwiw
in my experience
sinemet was and still is a miracle drug

your husband should not be afraid of it
nor should he be denied its benefits

whose decision is it not to take it?
what type of medico made the diagnosis and when?

fine tuning the med timing and amount becomes more critical
after several years of a 'honeymoon' period with sinemet

dyskinesia is primarily a sign of over-medication

our brains need to be fine-tuned like a maserati
and not with a sledgehammer

try searching on my website for "sinemet" and "honeymoon" or "miracle"
for more details

i am disturbed that your message seems to
reflect feelings of hopelessness and helplessness

imho
nothing could be further from the truth
not about parkinson's and not in this millennium

every situation is unique etc etc
but pallidotomy seems to be falling out of favour;
i think it should be an absolute last resort

try reading the current science reviews at joe bruman's site:
http://www.geocities.com/joebruman/

my first symptoms appeared when i was 38; i am now 53
and feeling stronger than ever
in all sorts of ways

what is your husband's name?
will he be joining us?
have you joined the caregivers' list?

janet

ps
may i suggest that you turn MULTI-PART MESSAGING off
in your e-mail software? it sometimes makes the listserver burp!

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/