hi all

this online phenomenon has become even more so!

when i signed on sunday the signatures totalled 3169

they are now well over the 4700 mark!

janet

Petition By Members of the Massachusetts General Hospital Neurological Web
Forum and Other Concerned Citizens In Support of Broad Public Funding for
Fetal and Embryonic Stem Cell Research

To:  President George W. Bush

Dear Mr. President,

We the undersigned are writing to urge you to support broad public funding
of fetal and embryonic pluripotent stem cell research. We applaud your
recent decision to study further the scientific and ethical implications of
this research. We thank you for your understanding of the importance and
complexity of this issue.

We are registered members of the Massachusetts General Hospital
Neurological Web Forum (MGH), as well as other concerned citizens. The MGH
forum functions as an online support mechanism for those who suffer, or
have loved ones who suffer, from a variety of neurological and related
illnesses and conditions. Among us are men, women, and children who have
such maladies as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Alzheimer's Disease,
Parkinson's Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Spinal cord injuries, Cerebral
Palsy, and over 150 other disabling and often fatal conditions.

What we have in common is the hope that our illnesses may soon be cured
through the profound discoveries now being made by scientists who depend on
public as well as private funds to continue their research. Recent reports
such as that of Dr. Curt Freed of the University of Colorado about the
remarkable recovery of motor function by Parkinson's patients in clinical
trials applying the results of stem cell research give us hope that a wide
range of previously incurable diseases may soon disappear in the biggest
revolution in medical history.

As you know, undifferentiated pluripotent master cells found in fetal
tissue and embryos have the ability to divide indefinitely and in later
stages of development specialize into cells that make up most tissues of an
organism. By guiding the growth of these cells it appears likely that
scientists will soon be able to culture new organs to replace ailing
hearts, or neurons for the treatment of brain disease or injury. A recent
poll indicates 2 out of 3 Americans support pluripotent stem cell research.

Concerns over the well-being of embryos are misplaced. Scientists at John
Hopkins University report that the number of embryonic cell lines currently
in cultivation is sufficient to supply research needs--so that not a single
embryo needs be destroyed in future.

Curing a vast array of chronic diseases using variants of a single method
of treatment centered around the use of stem cells was a mere dream a few
years ago. It has now, as Dr. Freed reported, moved from a theoretical
possibility to a proven reality. The lessening of human suffering that is
possible through continuing this research is incalculable. The savings in
health-related costs to both the public and private sectors will be
staggering.

A decision by you to continue public sector participation in this research
will help transform historic scientific breakthroughs into practical
medical therapies. What was once unimaginable, eliminating scores of
chronic illnesses with a single weapon, can come about witihin a few years.
You have the power to help make this happen within the lifetimes of most of
the people whose names appear below.

This country, with its wealth, spirit of ingenuity and enterprise, and
history of so often acheiving what was believed to be unachievable, can
once again lead the world in the coming health care revolution. Mr.
President, you can help to save the lives and restore the futures of
millions of citizens who are desparately ill; you can help to spare their
children from chronic illness or an early death. We urge you to take this
opportunity.

We thank you for your consideration of these words, and we ask you to look
not only at the number of people who have signed this letter, but to read
their names, conditions, and dates of diagnosis. We also urge you to read
the attached comments written by some of the people whose signatures appear
below. They make remarkable and moving reading.

A list of the specific disease sites included on the MGH Web Forum can be
found at www.braintalk.org. Most of these diseases and conditions can be
ameliorated or cured by the application of stem cell therapies.

Once again, thank you Mr. President for considering this letter, which we
present to you with our highest hopes.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

The Petition By Members of the Massachusetts General Hospital Neurological
Web Forum and Other Concerned Citizens In Support of Broad Public Funding
for Fetal and Embryonic Stem Cell Research Petition to President George W.
Bush was created by Members of MGH Web Forum and Other Concerned Citizens
and written by Gregory Wasson.  This petition is hosted here at
www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no express or implied
endorsement of this petition by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. The
petition scripts are created by Mike Wheeler at Artifice, Inc.  For
Technical Support please use our simple Petition Help form.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/stmcll/petition.html

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/