Wanted to pass this on - something that works for "us".  Taking tons of pills a day can really take a toll on the tum.  We have found, for a fact (in our case), that acidophilus (caplets or milk) - every day - takes away that nagging upset stomach.   Safeway has a nice 1% or 2% milk w/acidophilus for those who can't give up the milk.

We all have been told "NO" protein (or limited, or late in the day  only).  Dr. Iacono of the Loma Linda Medical Center, also says that protein isn't so bad as DAIRY.  We'd never heard this before.  Something to do with enzymes I think.  So we've limited the dairy (gotta have milk with chocolate cake) and don't sweat the proteins so much (still mostly as the last meal of the day).

Dr. Iacono helped us with a medication adjustment that we want to pass on to those who have been taking meds long term.  Burdette works with a neurolgist who has tried to help him adjust medications.  For ages he was on 25/100's (carbadopa/levidopa) - always seemed to be overmedicated, on or off, no inbetween.
Iacono stated he should limit carbadopa to no more than 100mg/day.  I think B was getting about 200/day (breaking pills in half, etc.).  Anyway the suggestion was to go to a combination of 10/100's.  We'd never heard of this being offered - the VA has this combination and it is actually very common.  The lesser dose has really helped, plus we're taking the Amantadine which he'd never taken before (suggested by Iacono too).  Seems to be working out good too.  Oh, and the doc also stated that constipation was to be avoided at all costs!   We (not me) use the "Nature's Remedy" - also available at Wal-Mart and Safeway.  I'm sure we can share all details, eh?

We also found that a neurosurgeon - as Iacono is - and a neurologist look at things really a bit differently.  Though I must add that we have a wonderful neurologist in Helena - it helps to have other opinions and insights.  We highly recommend Dr. Iacono's website http://www.pallidotomy.com  for additional info on adjusting diet, etc.  Doesn't mean you have to sign up for the surgery - though we are anyway.

Pat & Burdette (PWP 17 yrs - soon 2b 2-HIH)
"hih- holes in head"
Boulder MT