From: [log in to unmask]>Emily Nelson
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2001 10:53 PM
Subject: Requip side effects

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 and a half years ago.  My symptoms are brady kinesa, weakness, and some tremor (after exercise or strain) on my right side.  Because of my relatively mild symptoms I have been only using amandatine (symmetrel) as medication.  To relieve the rigidity of my arm and shoulder, my neurologist suggested trying Requip.  I used a "starter kit" that started with .25 mg. three times a day for 8 days and then moved the dosage to .5 three times a time.  About the 9th day I began experiencing severe stomach upset--like the lining of my stomach and esophagus was on fire.  I figured increasing the dosage might be at fault and my doctor suggested returning to the .25 three times a day for a longer time.  Thus, I decreased the dosage but the stomach irritation was so severe and continued despite the decrease in dosage that I had to stop taking the Requip all at once.  Within 24 hours the stomach problem ceased and I could actually begin breathing and eating fairly normal.

I would like to know if anyone out there has had this experience with Requip.  If so, were you able to handle it if you stayed on a lower dosage for a much longer time before increasing the dosage?  I'd also like to know if other similar agonists have the same side effects.  Should I give the Requip another try. (This is the second time I've tried it; the first time I only took it for three or four days when I experienced nausea and lethargy which I mistook for the flu and stopped the drug as a result.)
Thanks,
WD