Margie et al,

Whoa!  Hold on a minute!

The article actually says:

"It would allow [ALLOW] senior citizens to choose a private health plan,
with Medicare paying part of the premium."  It goes on to say:

"Under the Breaux-Frist plan, patients would receive at least the same
benefits they do now. Prescription drug coverage would be subsidized on a
sliding scale, based on income, with lower-income citizens paying nothing."

I believe President Bush is ADDING OPTIONS... "It would ALLOW..."   not
"FORCE"....  this gives seniors more flexibility....  not taking things away
from us.

ACTUALLY...  lower and mid-income PWPs will be BETTER OFF:

"On Jan. 29, Bush sent Congress a plan to help Medicare patients pay for
prescription drugs. The plan, "Immediate Helping Hand," would give states
$48 billion over four years to cover the full cost of drugs for the poorest
senior citizens, and some of the cost for those slightly better off. After
the four years, Bush would have the government pay at least one-fourth of
all seniors' premium costs for prescription drug coverage."

Based on this and other articles and news stories over the last six
months... I take a totally different message away from reading this
article!!!    :-)

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27073-2001Mar5.html

All the best,

Bill