Date sent:              Sat, 3 Mar 2001 08:46:51 -0600
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   sue weiler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                NON PD: e-mail access when traveling
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Dear Friends,
>
> I have always been able to keep current with the postings on the list
> by accessing a website called Mollymail.  It has been free up until
> now. Does anyone know of another free access service like this?  We
> will be traveling again this week and I'd rather not go to no mail or
> come home to bazillions of e-mail messages.   Thanks in advance,
>

> Sue
> 53/dx52/50
> I plan to live forever---so far so good.

Sue,

I am assuming that your ISP is not a "national" company like ATT is
and that it does not have local phone numbers all over.  One of the
reasons that I use ATTGlobal (IBMNET before it was bought out by
ATT) is that it has "nodes" (phone numbers) virtually all over the
world, and I could almost always find a way to connect no matter
where I was.

In China, however, where I visited in 1998, the closest IBM node was
in Hong Kong, and since I was in Beijing, that would have been a long-
distance call.  Furthermore, the Hong Kong node was always busy,
and for the first 2 days in Beijing, I could only connect through the
node in Tokyo.  The long-distance charges were astronomical!

Then, I discovered that if one can connect to *any* ISP, and if one
knows the Internet addresses of their own mail servers (a POP3 server
for receiving mail and a SMTP server for sending mail), one can access
their accounts from any local ISP as long as you can "get in".  In
Beijing, I obtained the password from a colleague (the person I was
visiting), signed into his Chinese ISP, and then, using my own POP3
and SMTP server addresses was fully in contact.  And the calls were
all local/free calls!

So, if you know someone in the area where you are traveling, simply
ask them to give you access to their ISP.  Once you are connected to
the Internet, you can access your mail account through your own
mailer program as long as you know the addresses of the servers.  You
can get that information from your own ISP at home.

Good luck.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555
PLEASE NOTE:  Because of the takeover of IBMNET by
AT&T, my new e-mail address, effective immediately,
is:

The old <ibm.net> address will no longer
function after March 1, 2001.  PLEASE CHANGE
YOUR ADDRESS BOOKS.