Date sent:              Sun, 4 Mar 2001 01:30:16 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Greg Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Seminar
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> I am a new Parkie (diagnosed 1 month ago) and his recommendation for
>   newly diagnosed Parkies is to start Selegine, not for symptom
>   relief, but for the possible slowing of the progress of the disease.
>    When symptoms interfere with the quality of life and you desire to
>   have them controlled begin with a dopamine agonist  such as Requip
>   or Mirapex. They may equal the effectiveness of levodopa for one to
>   three years. When their effectiveness begins to wear off then move
>   to levodopa. He did not recommend taking Sinemet to confirm
>   diagnosis.
>
>   He was very negative concerning Thalamotomy surgery, and feels
>   Pallidotomy surgery should be used only in special situations and
>   that Deep Brain Stimulation (DPS) surgery is the way to go.  This
>   surgery (if I understood correctly) has not been approved in the US
>   but is being done, and it is not considered to be experimental.
>   Over 100 such surgeries have been done in Cinncinnati and medicare
>   has approved them.

I have some problems with the first paragraph above, but generally
agree with the second.  DBS *is* indeed the (surgical) treatment of
choice these days, and is no longer considered "experimental".
Thalamotomy is useful for tremor.  Pallidotomy seems to be going out
of favor (again).

All of these treatments are merely "stop-gaps" until the true cause of
this disease is found.

Best,
Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D.
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555
PLEASE NOTE:  Because of the takeover of IBMNET by
AT&T, my new e-mail address, effective immediately,
is:

The old <ibm.net> address will no longer
function after March 1, 2001.  PLEASE CHANGE
YOUR ADDRESS BOOKS.