Even in cyberspace,  Ali still a presence
The Arizona Republic
March 4, 2001

While he is unable to communicate with the flamboyance that once
defined him, there is no denying Muhammad Ali's magic presence, even
when it comes via the Internet. Ali, 59, can barely mumble these days,
but he will return to the Valley in two weeks, ready and eager to appear
at Celebrity Fight Night, which is now in its seventh year. Before the
celebrities climb into the ring at the Biltmore with their funky, oversized
boxing gloves to gently spar with each other for the already sold-out
event on March 18, Ali will have stolen the show with his mere
attendance. There never has been, and probably never will be, anyone
quite like Ali. To many, he is the athlete of the 20th century. Arguably,
it's a title he deserves attached to his name, because unlike any other
sports icon Ali transcends generations and racial lines. "It's hard to
believe, and it makes me feel real good," Ali said in an Internet question-
and-answer session last week when asked about being considered the
most influential athlete of the past century. "The reason I'm recognized
all over the world is because all the Muslim countries recognize me, plus
the English and European countries." Ali can't walk anywhere on the
planet without being identified. Wherever he ventures in his countless
endeavors to help struggling people, Ali is welcomed like no one else.
The last time he attended a Suns game at America West Arena, Ali
received a standing ovation from the fans and the players themselves,
fully aware they were in the presence of royalty. "It was an amazing
sight," said Jimmy Walker, who once again will chair Fight Night's
festivities, which last year netted $1.5 million - all of which stayed in the
local community - for the battle against Parkinson's, the terrible disease
that virtually has stripped Ali of his ability to speak. "I can't do anything
about it," Ali said of his disability. "You have to learn to live with it.
Before I was told about Parkinson's it bothered me, and now it doesn't. I
just shake, rattle and roll." Even in his current condition, Ali's sense of
humor still manages to shine through. Considered one of sport's most
controversial figures, Ali was always a lightning rod. While boxing
provided Ali with his stage, it was his mind and mouth that elevated him
onto a global pedestal. Along the way he made enemies, most notably
when he refused to be drafted for duty during the Vietnam War because
of his religious beliefs. While his stance wound up costing him nearly
five years in the ring, Ali came back stronger than ever on the world
stage. These days, Ali lives on a ranch in southwestern Michigan.
Despite his advanced stage of Parkinson's, he refuses to stop doing
charity work. "I help people any way I can, because one day we are all
going to die and we are going to heaven or hell," he said. "To get to
heaven you need to do good deeds. God is watching, and I'm trying to
do as many good deeds as I can." Ali responded to a dozen questions.
His answers were mostly short. Even so, the interview opportunity was
too tantalizing to decline. Asked how he would like to be remembered,
Ali put together this response: "He took a few cups of love, a teaspoon
of patience. He mixed it up and stirred it well, and served it to each and
every deserving person he met."

Reach Gomez at [log in to unmask] or (602) 444-2364.

Copyright 2000, The Arizona Republic. All rights reserved

http://www.arizonarepublic.com/sports/articles/0304gomez0304.html

*********

********