HHS secretary Thompson spoke at the NIH yesterday, but still no answer on
the stem cell research issue. The headline in the Washington Post sounds
hopeful, but is misleading -- read on.

        " HHS Encourages Research Applications
                  By Laura Meckler
                  Associated Press Writer
                  Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2001; 6:44 p.m. EST

                  WASHINGTON –– Scientists who hope to conduct
controversial but
                  promising research using embryonic stem cells should
continue to     submit applications for federal funds, even as the Bush
administration  considers  whether to kill the program, Health and Human
Services        Secretary Tommy Thompson said Wednesday.

                  Applications are due next month, and it will take
several months for the
                  National Institutes of Health to evaluate them. In the
meantime,       Thompson said he would consider whether HHS can legally pay
for this        research.

                  It is one of many issues Thompson has confronted in a
whirlwind first
                  month, including decisions about the department's
budget, which was
                  released Wednesday.

                  ... As with other issues, Thompson said the final
decision on stem cell
                  research will come from the White House. In the
meantime, he said, the
                  application process should proceed.

                  "During this period of time I'm going to have some
people review it,       come back with recommendations to me and I'm going to
sit down        with the president of the United States and talk to him about
it," he said.

                  Thompson said the decision will be based on
interpretation of federal               law. Congress has said no federal money may
be used to extract              the cells, but the Clinton administration concluded
that it was OK to               fund research using privately extracted cells.

                  "It's a little murky," Thompson said. "Congress has
passed a law that               says we can't do this."

                  Later, he explained the challenge of balancing
competing issues.

                  "I'm very strongly involved with research and research
is important, but
                  there also are legal and ethical questions that have
got to be resolved,"
                  Thompson said. "
 See full story at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010228/aponline184450_000
.htm
 AND:
***You can still sign the online petition supporting stem cell research.
As of 5 AM this morning ithere were 6523 signatures. SEE:

       http://www.PetitionOnline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?stmcll&1

Linda