Bill:

we're not there yet
your questions are valid

> William Taggart wrote:
>
> Dear Janet & list mates:
>
> I am very optimistic about stem cell research..... but.... some of these
> articles bring some underlying questions to mind:
>
> Do we know what actually kills our natural brain cells in the first
> place?

there is some new info coming about genes that promote or inhibit apoptosis
there also seems like a lot of "triggers" that can initiate apoptosis
a fundamental understanding is needed
coupled with proper growth factors--and there are a few out there
in the proper sequence
  or we're playing with tumorgenic factors
  i'm not in a hurry to implant a potential hydatidiform mole in my brain
and now it seems that the stem cells may need a micro-environment
surrounded by the right kinds of cells to promote robust survival

> If not, what's to prevent the new stem cells from dying a similar death
> soon after being implanted in the same environment?

some long term survival study will
will be fun waiting for
and then to find out what is really in there
takes an autopsy

> Using chemicals to induce P&D-like symptoms in test animals does not
> create the environment that's killing the cells in the first place.

this makes sense
the models are not perfect
but, they are informative
and now there are several models

but, some models of pd are about an insult
or accumulated insults that trigger apoptosis which keeps going
such as oxidative damage--iron (ferritin imbalance), manganese, other metals
or that iron gene that was recently used in knockout mice
heck, rotenone, diazinone and other insecticides
glutamate hyperactivity
parkin gene in juvenile parkinsons
copper metabolism as seen in Wilson disease
some tropical fruits
mitochondrial mutation in a subset
those abnormal alpha-synuclein protein deposits--cause or effect?

the puzzle is not solved

> Don't get me wrong! I still want to be among the first to get a stem cell
> implant!  I'm just trying to get my self up to speed on the state of the
> art.....;-)

i know how you feel

time for a trip to the library
for the details from the full articles
tissue culture gets me excited

> Luv t'all,
>
> Bill - PWP
> New Joisey

sci-fi tangent

anybody a fan of Orson Scott Card?

in "Xenocide"
one of his characters - Marco
has parkinsonian features from a run in with an energy fence
he is slow and clumsy but still very intelligent
living in a body he despises
it is interesting that he doesn't have access to a futuristic cure
but he does have a helpful relationship to a sentient computer
that assists him with commnication

why do i like this book?

                                 Ray Strand
                             Prairie Sky Design