Raymond Strand wrote:
> i think it has to do with the autonomic nervous system
> perpheral denervation

And I believe you are absolutely right. The research community is
turning up increasing evidence that PD involves neurotransmitters
other than dopamine alone, and the death of neurons far removed
from the dopamine-producing ones of the substantia nigra.

My own experience at the current stage of my PD is that my
thermostat system, both sensation and control, has gone completely
bonkers. But all the odd phenomena seem responsive to Sinemet, an
exlusively dopaminergic medication. My present dosage schedule seems
about right, but if for some reason I forget, an unmistakable
reminder comes in the form of hands and fingers that feel, and are,
ice-cold. As an experiment, before hastily taking the Sinemet, I
held one wrist briefly under the cold-water tap and presto! That
hand was still cold to the touch, but felt quite normal. At the
same time, the rest of me is shivering, even though the wall
thermometer says it's 70F or more and I'm sweating.

Part of the scientific dispute over possible harm from long-term
use of Sinemet is damage to the dopamine receptors from the repeated
big changes in their stimulation, due to taking the Sinemet in
intermittent doses rather than as a continous infusion. IMHO however,
the ideal isn't a flat constant rate of intake, but one that keeps
pace with the quotidian variation of the body's requirement, which
of course is how the natural system works when it's healthy.

Since the accepted goal of all the current drug therapies is not yet
a cure, but rather the best attainable "quality of life", the most
welcome innovation would be an accurate and reliable indicator, such
as the icy-hands phenomenon, that would permit one to take just barely
enough medication to keep the system in balance, but not a bit more.
Cheers,

Joe

--
J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694