Sunday, March 4, 2001
Governor having to make a few adjustments in the HHS post
Statewire
WASHINGTON (AP)  --
Tommy Thompson has had to make a few adjustments  in
perspective and leadership style during his first month as
health and human services secretary under President Bush.

"Every day I'm getting more accustomed to being secretary
rather than a governor," Thompson told the Milwaukee Journal
Sentinel. "Every day it's getting a little bit easier for me to make
some headway."

He said he has been working until 11:30 p.m. every night as he tries to
learn about each agency he oversees.

The former Wisconsin governor, who was in office for 14 years,
also said he's learning "the hard way" to be less outspoken after
straying from the White House line last week on tobacco and
stem-cell research.

"I was out front of the president,"  Thompson said. "I've learned the
hard way already. You can't be quite as direct as I was as governor
because the interpretation of what you say can be misconstrued and
have
a tremendous impact."

Thompson told The Wall Street Journal that he favored giving the
Food and Drug Administration oversight of tobacco products,
a step supported by anti-smoking groups.

The president has not taken a formal position on such a move,
which would require an act of Congress. In 1996, the FDA began
to regulate tobacco, but the Supreme Court ruled last year that
Congress had not granted the agency that authority.

Also last week, at an appearance at the National Institutes of Health,
Thompson told reporters that the government would continue to accept
applications for grants to do embryonic stem-cell research while the
legal issues are reviewed.

Thompson said "if it's legal to go ahead," the funding would
not be delayed.

Scientists see research on human embryonic stem cells as a
pathway to progress on Parkinson's and other diseases.

But anti-abortion groups oppose federal funding, because
the research involves the destruction of embryos, typically
ones unneeded by fertility clinics.

There are also legal questions about the use of federal funds,
due to a congressional ban. The Clinton administration interpreted the
ban as allowing funding in certain cases, but President Bush may derail
the grants.

Bush has asked Thompson to revisit the issue. Thompson, who
was supportive of stem-cell research at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison, hasn't made his recommendation yet,
calling the legal issues "murky."

Thompson's comments on both issues got the attention of the
Bush White House.

"Did they seek clarification? Yes. Is he in the doghouse or are
they miffed? No," Thompson's chief of staff, Bob Wood, said
of the White House.

Both incidents illustrate the difference between his new and
old job, said Thompson.

"You're working for the president and not for yourself," he said.

Other adjustments he's faced include the higher cost of living in
Washington and the shift in perspective from state to national.

Thompson said nothing had prepared him for responsibilities
of overseeing more than 300 programs and the second biggest
departmental budget.

"It's absolutely gargantuan," said Thompson. "I never anticipated
that it would be this difficult and so all-encompassing."

On the Net:
Health and Human Services Department: http://www.hhs.gov/

© Copyright 2001. All rights reserved.

http://www2.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-