Hi All,
A private query on Parkinson's funding inspired the following...

On the funding per person in the US (NIH funding only?)

I believe $25 is a somewhat dated # these days....

Parkinson's research is grossly under-funded. Per patient Parkinson's
expenditures are only $24  (1998)
http://www.parkinsonsdisease.com/NEWS/news21.htm

For example, the Parkinson's Action Network claims that in 1994 NIH
spent more than $1,000 per affected person on AIDS
research, $93 on heart disease and $26 on Parkinson's.
http://www.cnie.org/nle/st-35.html

 In FY96, the National Institutes of Health spent $32 per person on
Parkinson's disease research compared to $2,143 per AIDs victim
http://www.senate.gov/~mccain/parkamd.htm

Parkinson's: $ 34
http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/laurel/Bmt-talk/Jun97/msg00199.html

Parkinson's affects about as many patients as HIV and AIDS, for
example, but the National Institutes of Health last year spent $41 in
research dollars per Parkinson's patient, compared with $1,640 per
patient with HIV or AIDS.
http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/local/park01.shtml

In 1998, the NIH research funding for Parkinson's was $41 million
(or $41 per person afflicted)
http://www.salon.com/health/feature/1999/11/29/celeb_disease/

NIH support for direct Parkinson's research currently amounts
to less than $42 per year per patient
http://www.parkinsonsaction.com/letters.html

Parkinson's Disease Research received only $43.00
per diagnosed patient
http://www.nwpf.org/news/nl/nl990101.html

According to a CNN news report, The National Institute of Health
projects that it will spend $81.5 million on Parkinson's research in
fiscal year 2000, up from a projected $78 million in 1999 and $65.5
million in 1998. "Maybe one of the reasons I'm more optimistic
and happier and relaxed than people would expect me to be
is I won't see 50 with this. I will see 50, but I will not
have this." -- Michael J. Fox

Still, "Compared with the amount of federal funding going to
other diseases, research funding for Parkinson's lags far behind,"
Fox claimed.

Although the figures are in the millions, they equate to about
$50 per diagnosed patient according to the Michael J. Fox
Foundation.
http://www.accesslife.com/scripts/saisapi.dll/catalog.class/life/20000602-PEO-Fox.html

The increases in funding started here...

Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Disease Research Act of 1997
http://www.parkinsonsaction.com/research.html

Statement of Senator John McCain on Mo Udall's
Parkinson's Research Act (S. 535) as Delivered in the Subcommittee
on Public Health and Safety
http://www.senate.gov/~mccain/motest.htm

SENATE RECORD VOTE ANALYSIS
105th Congress 1st Session
September 3, 1997, 7:00 pm
Page S-1074 Temp. Record
Vote No. 214
LABOR-HHS APPROPRIATIONS/Parkinson's Disease
Research Increase
http://www.senate.gov/~rpc/rva/1051/1051214.htm

SENATE RECORD VOTE ANALYSIS
105th Congress 1st Session
September 4, 1997, 12:01 pm
Page S-8781Temp. Record
Vote No. 215
http://www.senate.gov/~rpc/rva/1051/1051215.htm

$100 million will be authorized for Parkinson's Disease research, and up
to 10 Morris K. Udall Research Centers for Research on Parkinson's
Disease will be created (see vote No. 214); those centers will not have
limits placed on their use of fetal tissues and organs from elective
abortions beyond any limits in existing law (for related debate, see
vote No. 215) http://www.senate.gov/~rpc/rva/1051/1051235.htm

Scientific Opportunities and Public Needs:
Improving Priority Setting and Public Input at the
National Institutes of Health (1998)
by the Institute of Medicine
http://books.nap.edu/books/030906130X/html/index.html

Wellstone Calls on NIH to Stop Diverting Needed Funds from
Parkinson's Research - June 29th. 1999
http://www.senate.gov/~wellstone/parkinsons.htm

Wellstone Urges Increased
Funding to Combat Parkinson's Disease
http://www.senate.gov/~wellstone/parkinsons2.htm
http://www.senate.gov/~wellstone/parkinsons3.htm

Testimony of James A. Thomson, V.M.D., Ph.D.
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/old/labor/thomson2.htm

1999 Parkinson's Disease Research and Treatment Witnesses: Gerald
Fischbach, M.D., Director, National Institute of Neurological Disorders,
NIH; J. William Langston, M.D., President, The Parkinson's Institute;
Michael J. Fox, Actor; Joan I. Samuelson, President, Parkinson's Action
Network; Jim Cordy, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/old/labor/test.htm

Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human
Services, and Education Hearing on Parkinson's Research and Treatment
September 28, 1999 The Testimony for Joan I. Samuelson, President
Parkinson's Action Network
http://www.parkinsonsaction.com/press1.html

The Testimony of Michael J. Fox
http://www.parkinsonsaction.com/press2.html

Witnesses appearing before the House Subcommittee on
Labor-HHS-Education Appropriations
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/old/labor/inds2_23.htm

20/20 Aids Gets Too Much Money
http://www.actupny.org/alert/2020.html

1999 in Review
http://www.samlink.com/~bmartone/january1.htm

Statements of Spiegel and Fischbach April 26, 2000
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/labor/testimony/fishbach.htm

Testimony of Christopher Reeve April 26, 2000
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/labor/testimony/reeve.htm

Testimony of Lawrence S. B. Goldstein, Ph.D.
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/labor/testimony/goldst.htm

Statement of  Gerald D. Fischbach, M.D.
Director NINDS - May 18, 2000
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/labor/testimony/fishb500.htm

Statement of Gerald D. Fischbach, M.D.
Director NINDS
and Allen M. Spiegel, M. D.
Director National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases
Before the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health & Human
Services, Education & Related Agencies September 7, 2000
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/labor/testimony/fishb96.htm

Testimony of Michael J. Fox
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/labor/testimony/mjfox.htm

Testimony of Richard O. Hynes, Ph.D. September 14, 2000
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/labor/testimony/hynes.htm

Statement of The Honorable Neal Lane
Assistant to the President for Science and Technology
and Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/vahud/testimony/lane.htm

Actually, You can search all the testimonies here...
Just type    parkinson      in the box...  or stem cell...
http://www.hhs.gov/search/testimony.html

Continues our commitment to double funding for the National
Institute of Health over the next five years by providing $20.3 billion which is $1.5 billion
over the President’s request and $2.5 billion more than last year.
http://www.house.gov/appropriations/pr01lhco.html

Special Supplement Funding
A total of $17 million has been set aside in FY2001 for special
supplements to enhance research on Parkinson's Disease for existing
NINDS grantees, to promote an increase in minority and disabled
persons working in neuroscience research, and to support urgent
unforeseen needs that might arise.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/funding/ninds_funding_strategy.htm

Parkinson's Disease Research Supplements Q&A
http://accessible.ninds.nih.gov/funding/pdsupplements.htm

Society pays an enormous price for Parkinson's disease. According to
the National Parkinson Foundation, each patient spends an average of
$2,500 a year for medications. After factoring in office visits, Social
Security payments, nursing home expenditures, and lost income, the
total cost to the Nation is estimated to exceed $5.6 billion annually.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_medical/pubs/parkinson_disease_htr.htm

APPENDIX  (See Table at bottom of pages)
PROFESSIONAL JUDGMENT ESTIMATES
71.4 million in 2001
286.7 million in 2005
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/about_ninds/nihparkinsons_agenda.htm

Environmental Health Perspectives
Volume 108, Number 12 December 2000
http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2000/108-12/toc.html

Extramurally Speaking...
Environmental Health Perspectives
Volume 108, Number 12, December 2000
Parkinson Disease Research
http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2000/108-12/extram-speaking.html

NIH Research Funding Allocations Correspond with Some
Measures of Disease Burden, Says New England Journal Study
June 17, 1999
http://lrp.info.nih.gov/info/info11.htm
http://ugsp.info.nih.gov/info_items/info23.htm

The Ad Hoc Group for
Medical Research Funding
A coalition in support of increased funding for
the National Institutes of Health.
http://www.aamc.org/research/adhocgp/letter.htm

Society for Neuroscience SFN Supports
Ad Hoc Group For Medical Research Funding FY 2000 Proposal
http://www.sfn.org/legislative/policy/med.research.html

Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
Basic Research Funding
http://www.bio.org/laws/new_medicine.html

Cheers ...... murray