No offense to the doctors that are spouting this advice, but I think they are way out in left field.  It's apparent they know little about PD.  They sound like surgeons.  Also, DBS has been approved in US by FDA.

Greg
48/35/335
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Phyllis Hinkle
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 1:10 AM
  Subject: Seminar

  I just attended a seminar at Which Dr Montgomery from Cleveland Clinic Foundation and Dr Sherman from University of Arizona were the featured speakers.

  I am a new Parkie (diagnosed 1 month ago) and his recommendation for newly diagnosed Parkies is to start Selegine, not for symptom relief, but for the possible slowing of the progress of the disease.  When symptoms interfere with the quality of life and you desire to have them controlled begin with a dopamine agonist  such as Requip or Mirapex. They may equal the effectiveness of levodopa for one to three years. When their effectiveness begins to wear off then move to levodopa. He did not recommend taking Sinemet to confirm diagnosis.

  He was very negative concerning Thalamotomy surgery, and feels Pallidotomy surgery should be used only in special situations and that Deep Brain Stimulation (DPS) surgery is the way to go.  This surgery (if I understood correctly) has not been approved in the US but is being done, and it is not considered to be experimental.  Over 100 such surgeries have been done in Cinncinnati and medicare has approved them.