http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/health/newsid_1209000/1209603.stm

BBC News Online: Health

Thursday, 8 March, 2001, 19:02 GMT

Aids vaccine shows promise

An experimental vaccine has kept animals healthy even after exposure to very
high levels of an HIV-type virus.

The results are said to be among the best seen in animal experiments, and
the vaccine is now on a fast track for human clinical trials.

The vaccine works by stimulating the immune system to produce more "memory"
cells, which are capable of recognising HIV and launching a rapid defence if
infection occurs.

The research was conducted by scientists from Emory University in the US.

Large numbers

Lead researcher Dr Harriet Robinson said: "We have been really excited about
the level of control we have achieved with our memory response.

"Even among the groups that received the low-dose vaccine, the infections
were controlled."

The monkeys received two shots of the vaccine, followed by a booster made
using a smallpox vaccine first developed in the 1960s.

Although the vaccine does not prevent HIV infection, it controls it by
keeping the virus from replicating in large numbers.

Controls replication

In tests, 24 inoculated monkeys remained healthy months after being injected
with the virus.

In contrast, four non-vaccinated monkeys, which were also given the virus,
developed Aids-related illnesses within 28 weeks and were put to sleep.

Peggy Johnston, from the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious
Diseases, said: "These are among the very best outcomes we have seen in an
animal model.

Victor Zonana, of the International Aids Vaccine Initiative, said: "This is
exciting, and should go into human trials as soon as possible - it looks as
good as anything out there."

Poor relation

Gavin Hart, press spokesman for the National Aids Trust in the UK, said that
around 25-30 prototype aids vaccines were currently under development.

However, he said more funding was needed to push forward research if a
successful vaccine was to be a viable prospect within the next decade.

He told BBC News Online: "An aids vaccine would be the best long-term
solution to the global pandemic.

"But unfortunately research into a vaccine is currently the poor relation
when it comes to aids research, as most money still goes into research into
finding new treatments."

The US company Vaxgen is currently analysing the results of large scale
human trials of its vaccine. A vaccine developed by Oxford University is
also undergoing preliminary human trials in the UK and Kenya.

The monkey research is published in the journal Science.

Related to this story:
Aids up close (04 Nov 99 | Aids) New vaccine 'may halt Aids' (20 Oct
00 | Health) HIV vaccine trials (31 Aug 00 | Health)

Internet links: Science | National Aids Trust | Emory University |
International Aids Vaccine Initiative |

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype parkie
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/