In 1981 Jeannette was placed on Sinemet 10/100. She was a 5 year veteran
at that time with few problems. We went to her folks home for Christmas
and being 'dumb' about medicine/side effects/Parkinson's Disease she was
overdosed all week long. We didn't know better than to follow the
doctor's directions......and he didn't explain what possible side effects
might occur.

She has taken Sinemet since that time with more intelligent help than
provided by that doctor. Fortunately for many future PD patients, he
has retired.

She didn't have many symptoms that required medication to cover up. But
being unknowing persons about PD we continued on Sinemet......until
October 2000. Jeannette was taking a 1/4 10/100 tablet every 20 minutes....
probably should have been using orange juice mixture with Sinemet but she
doesn't like orange juice. Finally the dyskensia became so much of a problem
that we had to attempt other solutions. She wasn't ready for surgical
procedures yet.

She was weaned off Sinemet and is using Requip, Amantadine and Tasmar. So
far she has reduced the dyskensias to virtually nothing and the movement
is as good or better than on Sinemet. Having learned a thing or two about
PD from this list and by reading most of what has been written, we now
feel as conversant as many of our physicians about PD. What we know is
that PD is a very individualistic disease. Likely due to our individual
makeup that makes us such a diverse human community.

Jeannette had a 'drug holiday' about 10 years ago and it appeared to renew
the drugs' ability to be effective for some time. But as time wore on
they began to fail in the primary mission and produced more problems than
they solved.

Do I think one should start drugs immediately upon diagnosis?  DON'T
KNOW! Do I think one should put off taking drugs until definitely
needed? DON'T KNOW!  What I do think is that Sinemet wears out its
welcome over time. How much time? DON'T KNOW! I suspect that it
varies considerably by individual just as progression varies by
individual.  Each person has to live with the Disease and live in
spite of it. How we chose to live with PD is as individualistic a
concept as living without it appears to be. We can be slaves to it
or we can choose to live a good life in spite of it.

One thing for sure, Jeannette has worn out her welcome with Sinemet
and we must find other ways to combat PD. From her age of 38 we have
fought this problem and so far we have been successful. At her current
age of 62 (I didn't say that) she is still an Admiral Dewey fan.....
"Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead".  And as a lowly chief on the
ship, as long as she will lead, I'll attempt to keep the deck clear and
the rudder amidships.

I feel the decision to use any drug must come from the individual. Only
you know how you feel, both physically and mentally.

Just another opinion!  ..........Jack

E. Jack Savely CG for Jeannette 62/38/37 Topeka, KS
KANSAS - 'THE WHEAT STATE' & HOME OF THE SUNFLOWER & 'TOTO'
Ad Astra per Aspera  -  'To the Stars through Difficulty'