From: "Renay Crooms" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: PDF's Fetal Cell Transplantation Statement
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:04:54 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C0AC87.5CDCA3A0

To the Listserv,

Many of you will already have read or heard about the new research report on=
 fetal cell transplantation that appeared in the March 8th edition of the pr=
estigious New England Journal of Medicine.

The disappointing findings, aggravated by the negative tone of some of the n=
ews reports (including the article that appeared in The New York Times on Ma=
rch 8th) will be upsetting to many in our constituency.  Dr. Rowland, Presid=
ent of the PDF's Board of Directors, and I thought our Foundation could make=
 a contribution by giving folks some more positive and complete context in w=
hich to read these disappointing findings.  Hence the following statement.

The fetal cell transplantation news release statement will also be listed on=
 our website: www.pdf.org.

Please call the Parkinson's Disease Foundation at 1-800-457-6676 with any qu=
estions.

Robin Anthony Elliott
Executive Director

=20
Report of a Study of Fetal Cell Transplantation for Severe Parkinson's Disea=
se:

A Statement by the Parkinson's Disease Foundation=20

=20

 New York, March 8 -- Newspapers today covered an important report on Parkin=
son's research undertaken by scientists at the University of Colorado and Co=
lumbia University and published by the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM=
).  The subject was the first double-blind study to determine whether fetal=20=
cell transplants can be effective in restoring dopamine function and help pa=
tients.  What they found was that the benefits were meager and the adverse e=
ffects, serious.  These results are disappointing to the million or more Ame=
ricans and their families who live with Parkinson's disease.  But the report=
 needs to be seen in context.

 First, while the study clearly shows that this technique is not ready for w=
idespread adoption at this time, it does reveal some useful clues for future=
 research -- including the finding that dopamine cells can take root, surviv=
e and function following a transplant.  This finding is important to our ove=
rall understanding of the potential for regeneration of damaged dopamine-pro=
ducing systems and has implications for future research. =20

 Second, the most alarming finding -- the inability of scientists to control=
 the function of the implanted cells in such a way as to keep them from over=
producing certain chemicals that trigger disturbing involuntary movements --=
 itself presents a challenge to scientists to design new studies of stem cel=
l biology.  These studies should initially be conducted in animals, not in h=
uman beings.  =20

 Third, we must remind ourselves that the process of scientific inquiry is a=
 investigative journey, not a sure destination.  Successes are always more w=
elcome than setbacks, such as this one, but even setbacks carry crucial less=
ons for future investigation. =20

 Fourth, and this point is especially important for people with Parkinson's,=
 cell transplantation of this kind is only one of several promising avenues=20=
for new approaches to Parkinson's therapy.   Others include gene therapy, th=
e study of environmental toxins, the investigation of genes associated with=20=
Parkinson's, and the potential of pluripotent stem cells. =20

 Finally, and most important, reports such as this one show how vital it is=20=
that we continue to explore and support research into the causes and cure of=
 Parkinson's, through basic science and through clinical studies.  The path=20=
of any campaign is inevitably strewn with surprises, not all of them good. =20=
Our posture when a bump in the road is encountered must be to keep our eye o=
n the goal: improving scientific understanding of the processes that lead to=
 Parkinson's and exploring therapies that have promise to arrest, relieve an=
d perhaps even anticipate the disease.  As Drs. Gerald Fischbach and Guy McK=
hann (respectively, the former Director and the current clinical director of=
 the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke), wrote in an e=
ditorial that appeared in the same edition of the NEJM: "The brain is a most=
 complex structure, so incremental results on the way to cures should are to=
 be welcomed rather than dismissed as less than perfect."

 At the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, in behalf of our community of people=
 with Parkinson's, this continuing commitment to research of the highest cal=
iber will remain our beacon and our resolve. =20

=20

Lewis P. Rowland, M.D., President =20

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C0AC87.5CDCA3A0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To the Listserv,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Many of you will already have read or heard=
 about=20
the new research report on fetal cell transplantation that appeared in the M=
arch=20
8th edition of the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The disappointing findings, aggravated by t=
he=20
negative tone of some of the news reports (including the article that appear=
ed=20
in The New York Times on March 8th) will be upsetting to many in our=20
constituency.&nbsp; Dr. Rowland, President of the PDF's Board of Directors,=20=
and=20
I thought our Foundation could make a contribution by giving folks some more=
=20
positive and complete context in which to read these disappointing=20
findings.&nbsp; Hence the following statement.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The fetal cell transplantation news release=
=20
statement will also be listed on our website: <A   href=3D"http://www.pdf.or=
g">www.pdf.org</A>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please call the Parkinson's Disease Foundat=
ion at=20
1-800-457-6676 with any questions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Robin Anthony Elliott</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Executive Director</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;
<DIV class=3DSection1>
<P align=3Dcenter class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN  >Report of a Study of Fetal Ce=
ll Transplantation for=20
Severe Parkinson&#8217;s Disease:</SPAN></B><SPAN  ><?xml:namespace prefix=20=
=3D o ns =3D   "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN=
></P>
<P align=3Dcenter class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN  >A Statement by the Parkinson&=
#8217;s Disease Foundation=20
<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN  >New York, March 8 -- Newspap=
ers today covered an=20
important report on Parkinson&#8217;s research undertaken by scientists at t=
he=20
University of Colorado and Columbia University and published by the New Engl=
and=20
Journal of Medicine (NEJM).<SPAN>&nbsp; </SPAN>The=20
subject was the first double-blind study to determine whether fetal cell=20
transplants can be effective in restoring dopamine function and help=20
patients.<SPAN>&nbsp; </SPAN>What they found was that=20
the benefits were meager and the adverse effects, serious.<SPAN  >&nbsp; </S=
PAN>These results are disappointing to the=20
million or more Americans and their families who live with Parkinson&#8217;s=
=20
disease.<SPAN>&nbsp; </SPAN>But the report needs to be=20
seen in context.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN  >First, while the study clear=
ly shows that this technique=20
is not ready for widespread adoption at this time, it does reveal some usefu=
l=20
clues for future research -- including the finding that dopamine cells can t=
ake=20
root, survive and function following a transplant.<SPAN  >&nbsp; </SPAN>This=
 finding is important to our overall=20
understanding of the potential for regeneration of damaged dopamine-producin=
g=20
systems and has implications for future research.<SPAN  >&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p>=
</o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN  >Second, the most alarming fi=
nding -- the inability of=20
scientists to control the function of the implanted cells in such a way as t=
o=20
keep them from overproducing certain chemicals that trigger disturbing=20
involuntary movements -- itself presents a challenge to scientists to design=
 new=20
studies of stem cell biology.<SPAN>&nbsp; </SPAN>These=20
studies should initially be conducted in animals, not in human beings.<SPAN=20=
 >&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN  >Third, we must remind oursel=
ves that the process of=20
scientific inquiry is a investigative journey, not a sure destination.<SPAN=20=
 >&nbsp; </SPAN>Successes are always more welcome than=20
setbacks, such as this one, but even setbacks carry crucial lessons for futu=
re=20
investigation.<SPAN>&nbsp;=20
</SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN  >Fourth, and this point is es=
pecially important for=20
people with Parkinson&#8217;s, cell transplantation of this kind is only one=
 of=20
several promising avenues for new approaches to Parkinson&#8217;s therapy.<S=
PAN  >&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>Others include gene therapy, the=20
study of environmental toxins, the investigation of genes associated with=20
Parkinson&#8217;s, and the potential of pluripotent stem cells.<SPAN  >&nbsp=
; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN  >Finally, and most important,=
 reports such as this one=20
show how vital it is that we continue to explore and support research into t=
he=20
causes and cure of Parkinson&#8217;s, through basic science and through clin=
ical=20
studies.<SPAN>&nbsp; </SPAN>The path of any campaign=20
is inevitably strewn with surprises, not all of them good.<SPAN  >&nbsp; </S=
PAN>Our posture when a bump in the road is=20
encountered must be to keep our eye on the goal: improving scientific=20
understanding of the processes that lead to Parkinson&#8217;s and exploring=20=
therapies=20
that have promise to arrest, relieve and perhaps even anticipate the=20
disease.<SPAN>&nbsp; </SPAN>As Drs. Gerald Fischbach=20
and Guy McKhann (respectively, the former Director and the current clinical=20
director of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke), wr=
ote=20
in an editorial that appeared in the same edition of the NEJM: &#8220;The br=
ain is a=20
most complex structure, so incremental results on the way to cures should ar=
e to=20
be welcomed rather than dismissed as less than perfect.&#8221;<o:p></o:p></S=
PAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN  >At the Parkinson&#8217;s Dis=
ease Foundation, in behalf of our=20
community of people with Parkinson&#8217;s, this continuing commitment to re=
search of=20
the highest caliber will remain our beacon and our resolve.<SPAN  >&nbsp; </=
SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN>Lewis P. Rowland, M.D.,=20
President<SPAN>&nbsp;=20
</SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C0AC87.5CDCA3A0--