hi all

a big thank you to mary manfredi
(of the famous Mary's Mailbag column in the PDF newsletter)
who forwarded the following message from the PDF executive.

janet

ps
cross-posted to the MGH pd webforum

To the Listserv,

Many of you will already have read or heard about the new research report
on fetal cell transplantation that appeared in the March 8th edition of the
prestigious New England Journal of Medicine.

The disappointing findings, aggravated by the negative tone of some of the
news reports (including the article that appeared in The New York Times on
March 8th) will be upsetting to many in our constituency.  Dr. Rowland,
President of the PDF's Board of Directors, and I thought our Foundation
could make a contribution by giving folks some more positive and complete
context in which to read these disappointing findings.  Hence the attached
statement.

The fetal cell transplantation news release statement will also be listed
on our website: http://www.pdf.org/

Please call the Parkinson's Disease Foundation at 1-800-457-6676 with any
questions.

Robin Anthony Elliott
Executive Director

Report of a Study of Fetal Cell Transplantation for Severe Parkinson's
Disease:
A Statement by the Parkinson's Disease Foundation

New York, March 8 -- Newspapers today covered an important report on
Parkinson's research undertaken by scientists at the University of Colorado
and Columbia University and published by the New England Journal of
Medicine (NEJM).

The subject was the first double-blind study to determine whether fetal
cell transplants can be effective in restoring dopamine function and help
patients.

What they found was that the benefits were meager and the adverse effects,
serious.  These results are disappointing to the million or more Americans
and their families who live with Parkinson's disease.  But the report needs
to be seen in context.

First, while the study clearly shows that this technique is not ready for
widespread adoption at this time, it does reveal some useful clues for
future research -- including the finding that dopamine cells can take root,
survive and function following a transplant.

This finding is important to our overall understanding of the potential for
regeneration of damaged dopamine-producing systems and has implications for
future research.

Second, the most alarming finding -- the inability of scientists to control
the function of the implanted cells in such a way as to keep them from
overproducing certain chemicals that trigger disturbing involuntary
movements -- itself presents a challenge to scientists to design new
studies of stem cell biology.  These studies should initially be conducted
in animals, not in human beings.

Third, we must remind ourselves that the process of scientific inquiry is a
investigative journey, not a sure destination.  Successes are always more
welcome than setbacks, such as this one, but even setbacks carry crucial
lessons for future investigation.

Fourth, and this point is especially important for people with Parkinson's,
cell transplantation of this kind is only one of several promising avenues
for new approaches to Parkinson's therapy.

Others include gene therapy, the study of environmental toxins, the
investigation of genes associated with Parkinson's, and the potential of
pluripotent stem cells.

Finally, and most important, reports such as this one show how vital it is
that we continue to explore and support research into the causes and cure
of Parkinson's, through basic science and through clinical studies.

The path of any campaign is inevitably strewn with surprises, not all of
them good.  Our posture when a bump in the road is encountered must be to
keep our eye on the goal: improving scientific understanding of the
processes that lead to Parkinson's and exploring therapies that have
promise to arrest, relieve and  perhaps even anticipate the disease.

As Drs. Gerald Fischbach and Guy McKhann (respectively, the former Director
and the current clinical director of the National Institute of Neurological
Disorders and Stroke), wrote in an editorial that appeared in the same
edition of the NEJM: "The brain is a most complex structure, so incremental
results on the way to cures should are to be welcomed rather than dismissed
as less than perfect."

At the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, in behalf of our community of people
with Parkinson's, this continuing commitment to research of the highest
caliber will remain our beacon and our resolve.

Lewis P. Rowland, M.D.,
President