We have had our share of virus scares...many times unnecessarily. If you are
using Outlook or Outlook Express, the risk for you and us increases with
every email you receive and send.

The default for both programs is to create just the words of your email and
translates those same words into html code. It is within this html code that
viruses like the script or kak viruses hide. If you are receiving a message
with Outlook Express...when you open a message the program executes the html
to display the fancy text message. The opening process runs the virus script
which infects your machine and attaches the same script to every email you
send.

Our options at the listserv are limited but this is what Barbara and I have
done. We have begun today to strip the html code from all messages posted to
Parkinsn. This will perhaps shorten the messages and reduce the number of
inadvertant viruses passed to the list.

There are things you can do to help and one of them is to turn off formatted
mail. The following are the instructions for the most popular email programs
to do that. List membership requires everyone acting responsibly..please
follow the directions.

Instructions for Turning Off Formatted Email

One feature of many modern email program is the ability to send messages
with different colors, different fonts and other fancy bells and whistles.
While this formatting is often more pleasing to the eye than plain old text,
it causes problems with mailing lists. In fact, for people without the same
email program as you, your formatted messages may be difficult or impossible
to read.

As a rule, you should always try to send email to mailing lists in "plain
text format." While this won't be as fancy, it will ensure that everyone can
read your email without problems. Below are instructions for using plain
text with most popular email programs. Please find your email program, and
follow the simple instructions. If you have trouble, try asking a
computer-savvy friend or coworker.

When you're done, try sending a test message to yourself, a friend or a
coworker. Your email should be plain, boring, monospaced type ... no colors,
no different fonts, no backgrounds.

(P.S. When the instructions say something like "Format | Mail | Send" it
means "select the 'Format' menu, then select the 'Mail' option, then select
the 'Send' option" and so forth.)

Eudora Light (3.0):

Tools | Options | Sending Mail (under "Category" in left panel)
Do NOT check "May use quoted-printable"

Eudora Pro (3.0):

Tools | Options | Styled Text (under "Category" in left panel)
Check either or both "Warn me when I queue a message with styled text"
and/or "Discard styles before sending messages"
(see also http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/908hq.html)

Eudora Pro (4.x):

Tools | Options | Styled Text (under "Category" in left panel)
Check "Ask me each time" (if you send out "formatted" messages often).
You'll be asked "Do you want to send plain text, styled text, or both?"
Click the Plain button.

Groupwise - there is no setting you can change

Microsoft Exchange:

Tools | Services
Highlight "Internet Mail" then click on "Properties"

An "Internet Mail, General" window will appear

Choose "Message Format," then "Character Set"

In the "UUENCODE Character Set" window, click the down arrow that shows
beside the little rectangular "window" below where it says "specify a
character set for message" text. A set of options will appear, including
both "ISO 8859-1" and "US ASCII". Click "US ASCII", then click "OK".
Restart computer before settings take effect.

Netscape (3.x or earlier):

Options | Mail/News Preferences | Composition
Select Allow 8-bit

Netscape (4.0):

Edit | Preferences | "+" sign next to Mail & Groups | Messages
Make sure that "By default, send HTML messages" is NOT selected
Also, on that Preferences page, hit the More Options button and, in the
bottom set of buttons, select "Always convert message into plain text (may
lose some formatting)"

Outlook (see below for Outlook Express):

Option 1:
Tools | Options | Mail Format

Select "Plain Text" in the "Send in this message format" dropdown
or
Option 2:

Tools | Address Book

Select the Berner-L entry in the list
File | Properties | SMTP - Address

Click "Send Options" button (if no button, try Option 1 above)
Check "I want to specify the format for messages to this recipient"

Select "MIME" radio button and "Message Body: Plain Text"

Outlook Express (see above for Outlook):

Tools | Options | Send
Select "Plain Text" on both Mail Sending format and News sending format

On the Settings button next to Plain Text on Mail:

Select MIME, Encode text using NONE
Do NOT check "Allow 8-bit characters"

On the Settings button next to Plain Text on News:
Select UUENCODE

Outlook Express for Macintosh:

Edit | Preferences
Make sure the triangle next to "Outlook Express" is pointing down instead of
to the right (otherwise click once to make it so)

Under the "Outlook Express" heading select "Message Compostion"
Choose plain text radio button for the "mail sending format" box at the top
left

Pegasus Mail (3.x):

Tools | Options | Sending Mail
Select "Always remove formatting"
Do NOT check "Allow 8-bit MIME message"

Pegasus Mail (4.x):

Tools | Options | Sending Mail
Select "Always remove formatting"
Do NOT check "Allow 8-bit MIME message"

Advanced check | Don't add "information" section to multipart message

                   Online Subscription help available by MSN Messenger
                  [log in to unmask] or ICQ 2376159
John Cottingham