Wednesday March 7, 3:48 am Eastern Time
Press Release
SOURCE: CellFactors plc
US Patent Secures Pivotal Intellectual Property Position
For CellFactors in Use of Cell Therapy for Brain Repair
MARLOW, England, March 7 /PRNewswire/ -- CellFactors,
a young British bio-pharmaceutical company developing
novel cell therapies to repair damaged brains and bones, has
been granted a patent covering the genetic immortalisation
of human neural cells by the US Patents and Trademarks Office.

This secures the company's strong intellectual property
particularly in regard to the use of neural cells for treatment
of degenerative brain disorders such as Parkinson's Disease,
stroke and Alzheimers.

Commenting on the news today, Chief Executive Dr. Iain Cubitt
said, ``This secures a leading role for CellFactors in neural cell
therapy. It is the first of many patents we expect to emerge from
our extensive filings, in the USA and Europe which date from the
mid 1990s.''

What sets CellFactors apart in this exciting new therapeutic area
is the ability to produce and reproduce therapeutically useful
quantities of characterised differentiated immortalised human
neural cells in culture.

In addition the new patent covers a safety device which makes it
possible to selectively disable cells after transplantation if desired.

Having secured its IP position, CellFactors now intends to open
commercial negotiations with interested genomic and drug
discovery companies, many of whom already have programmes
directed at neural diseases. Their intention is to grant licences to
companies working on indications not currently within CellFactors'
selected key focus areas. CellFactors will retain manufacturing
control over their therapeutic cell production lines.

``With such strong intellectual property we are now ready to seek
partners interested in collaborating with us to open up the exciting
therapeutic potential now unfolding. We believe cell replacement
therapy could give neurologists the breakthrough they need to
transform treatment options within a decade,'' said Dr. Cubitt.

CellFactors have their UK HQ in Cambridge with research centres
at the Universities of Cardiff and Sheffield. You can visit their
web site at http://www.cellfactors.com or call up the relevant
Patent (Number 6197585) direct from the US Patent Office web
site at: http://www.uspto.gov

Information in this press release may include forward-looking
statements which embrace risk and uncertainties. However all
information included in this text is based on information available
to our client at the time of issue. These statements are not
guarantees of future performance and actual results could differ
materially from current expectations.
SOURCE: CellFactors plc

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010307/lnw004.html

******