Source - The  Telegraph, London
Monday, March 12, 2001
'Irresponsible' cloning plan appals scientists
By Roger Highfield in London
Cloned humans could be born weighing almost seven kilograms,
with distinctive navels several times larger than other babies',
scientists warned yesterday.

But a giant navel, a remnant of the oversized umbilical cord that
inexplicably develops during most pregnancies involving cloning,
could be the least of the problems facing Italian and American
fertility doctors proposing to produce the first cloned human.

Italy's Professor Severino Antinori and Professor Panayiotis Zavos,
an American, announced they had a pool of candidate couples for
the first cloned human, who could be born within two years.

"Cloning may be considered as the last frontier to overcome male
sterility," Professor Antinori said. "I'm asking all of us to be
prudent and calm. We're talking science. We're not here to create
a fuss."

But British scientists joined the pro-life lobby and the Vatican in
condemning the plans.

The dangers of cloning were well known, said Dr Harry Griffin of
the Roslin Institute, Edinburgh, where the sheep known as Dolly
was cloned. He said the proposal was "criminally irresponsible"
and wondered if Professor Antinori had liability insurance to
support a cloned child who was unhealthy for the rest of its life.
He said only about one cloned embryo in 10 appeared to develop
normally when inspected under the microscope. But the microscope
would not detect an embryo with Down syndrome, let alone more
subtle disorders.

Of the few that made it to term, about half suffered problems.

Most had enlarged placentas and fatty livers.

Human babies would be unusually big - perhaps  about 6.8
kilograms - and would be likely to die within weeks from heart and
blood vessel problems, underdeveloped lungs, diabetes or immune
system deficiencies.

Those that survived would  have navels two or three times the
normal size, said Dr Michael West of Advanced Cell Technology
in  Massachusetts.

Cloned cows have been born with head deformities, such as a
bulldog-like squashed face or head. They never survive.

"Just before Christmas, we had a cloned lamb that was perfectly
formed," said the Roslin Institute's Professor Ian Wilmut.
But the animal could not stop hyperventilating because of
malformed arteries leading to the lungs, and was put down.
"What if it had been a child?" he asked. "Who would be
responsible? What sort of life would it have, panting all
of the time?"

AAP reports that the chairman of the Melbourne IVF group,
Dr John McBain, said  the plan was "ethically unsustainable"
and would "irreparably damage the reputation of other forms
of reproductive medicine".

The  Telegraph, London

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0103/12/pageone/pageone7.html

*******