Katie and list members,
I also spoke to Ivan while he was in the hospital last week - and the
conversation was very much like the one Greg reported. From my
understanding of what Ivan said, he went to RI by his own choice, and was
hoping to stay in the hospital's Rehab facility for a few weeks. He had
been to his local emergency room  three times the week before, and was
sent home each time. I think he didn't believe he would get the medical
care he needed in Maine due to his pending court case. He said he has a
sister in Providence, who I think he was hoping would help him -- but
that did not seem to happen. The last time I spoke to him he was hoping
to get back home someway. He also is aware that the state will take his
house if he is placed in a nursing home.
It is very frustrating and sad to think about Ivan's plight. Yes, "Ivan
is Ivan"  but I don't think his situation is all that unique.
Barb Mallut stated it so well -- anyone of us could be faced with the
same problems in the future, unless better options become available for
long term care of the chronically ill. It's a thought that's hard to
face, but we need to think about it, and I hope our national and local PD
organizations will start addressing these care issues as well.
The saddest aspect of Ivan's story is that it seems that he has no one
else to turn to, but a few people from this list -- people who live great
distances away, who can offer only emotional support, but not the type of
help he really needs right now.
Linda