-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of janet paterson
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 7:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 'doing without meds'

hi all

this subject has been raised at the mgh pd webforum too.

fyi
following is what i posted there

janet

i read [the above] with some concern;

'doing without meds' strikes me as
at best, masochistic, and at worst, potentially life-threatening

there is a lot of ignorance still out there about pd
even among medicos, and we have to learn to be our own best advocates

only we know how our bodies feel in reaction to med changes

but titration is critical in dealing with any brain altering chemical;
even tiny changes can produce obvious and drastic symptoms

a diabetic
is not cheered on for trying to 'do without insulin'

a clinically depressed person
should not be admired for their 'strength of will' in
trying to 'do without antidepressants'

a parky
should not have to suffer through symptoms which can be
eased or eliminated by the pd meds at our disposal

'doing without meds' does not display strength of character

imho,
it is an arbitrary notion which is probably based on
some sort of foolish pride - 'look ma, no drugs!'

i advise acceptance, education, and titration
as three body blows to eliminating needless suffering
and regaining one's power and joy

janet