                                        Not much of a man

A man is supposed to be stoic,
 never letting his feelings show
but I love to tell you how much I love you,
so I guess I’m not much of a man.
A man is supposed to not show pain,
but I yelp, growl and grunt when the spasms get bad
may not help, but it don’t hurt much either,
and I guess I’m not much of a man
a man is supposed to be the bread winner
providing for his family’s support.
You made more money in one day,
than I will bring home in 3 months,
so I guess I’m not much of a man
a man likes to watch the games on tv,
get rowdy with his friends,
and belch a lot.
I would rather sit with you, and talk -
and I hate to belch,
so I guess I’m not much of a man
a man is supposed to want to leave his wife at home,
and hang out in bars with the guys,
leave you to hang out with some hairy legged he?
Not too damn likely, so I guess I’m not much of a man.
I can’t do what I did,
or what I would like to do.
Sometimes it hurts me to have to admit that
I can’t help,
and I go sit in the truck
and watch you work.
I think that watching
is the hardest job I’ve ever tried to do
and I guess I’m not much of a man.
but I love you with all my heart,
and I try to tell you that with words, poems and actions
I know I’m not what some would call a “real” man,
but I can look in the mirror and like who I am
even when that stranger in the mirror
won’t smile at me.
But I am the man you choose to love
and since “real men” are the fools who hurt and lost you,
I guess I’m kinda glad that
I am not much of a man.

bob armentrout    Copyright
2001

This message was sent using Midwest Tel Net Web Based Mail.
http://www.mwt.net/