A few days ago, Linda Squire the coordinator for the Cedars-Sinai
Information and Referral Center sent me two videotapes of their Grand
Opening seminar to share with the world. I thank Linda for all of us here,
for allowing P-I-E-N-O permission to present this APDA copyrighted material.

Dr. Michael Levesque of recent stem cell fame was one of the guest speakers
and he discussed the surgical options for Parkinson's.

You can access and listen to his 35 minute talk at:

http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/

Later in the program, a spirited round table discussion erupted. :)

Dr. Levesque, neurosurgeon, was joined by Dr. Pulst, neurologist, Medical
Director for the Cedars-Sinai Information and Referral Center, Dr. Espy,
neurologist who practices at Cedar-Sinai and Dr. Michael Rezak, neurologist,
Medical Director, from the Young-Onset Parkinson's Information and Referral
Center in Illinois. The Information and Referral Centers receive partial if
not complete funding from APDA. The movement disorder neurologists did not
always agree on the course of treatment of Parkinson's.

You can hear the questions answered in the 19 minute panel discussion
following the link at:

http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/

The questions were:

1. A young-onset Parkinson's patient who is on approximately 3.5 gm/per day
liquid Sinemet wonders if they could switch to an agonist such as Permax or
should there be a combination of the two?
Dr Rezak answers.

2. A question for Dr. Espy: Do neurologists routinely recommend exercise
programs for Parkinson's patients, if not why not?
Dr. Espy answers. Dr. Resak follows-up with a comment. The moderator, Dr.
Pulst, follows up with his experience at an ataxia conference.

3. A question for Dr. Levesque: At what point should I have surgery?
Dr. Levesque answers. Dr. Espy has an opposing viewpoint. Dr. Levesque
responds. Dr. Rezak has a median response.

4. Are there alternative treatments for tremor like natural herbs?
Dr. Espy was the only one to respond with a possible option.

5. If one parent has Alzheimers and the other has Parkinson's disease should
we be concerned for us and our children?
Dr.Pulst answers.

6. Is it true Sinemet should not be used with a history of melonoma?
Dr. Rezak answers.

7. Can entacapone be used as a substitute for tolcapone (Tasmar)?
Dr. Rezak answers. Dr. Espy responds.

8. Is Deep Brain Stimulation for someone who has had a pallidotomy?
Dr. Levesque answers.

9. If after using levodopa and the symptoms are no longer controlled, what
is the next step?
Dr. Espy answers. Dr. Rezak adds additional comments.

P-I-E-N-O uses RealPlayer to stream the talks. If the talks don't start
automatically when your browser loads the page, click on the icon at the
bottom of the page to get the free Realplayer.