Hello,

As I recall, there were some younger patients who did not suffer disastrous
effects of overgrowth, and who did improve with the surgery.  I might add
that there still are people with leukemia who die a rather harsh death after
an unsuccessful bone marrow transplant, though fewer of them then before. It
needs saying that bone-marrow transplantation is not always successful; but
it is not to say that fetal tissue transplantation doesn't have much more to
do before it is equal to bone marrow transplants, which continued despite
very low success rates.  Also let's not forget that omni- or pluripotent
stem-cell research has a lot more research to do to make up for the many more
steps needed to turn those cells into ones that are neural cells (or whatever
kind is desired).  There is a big difference between fetal tissue, which is
already differentiated into brain cells, hence, why they work so well or too
well, and undifferentiated cells, as are stem cells.  True?  Please point out
anything you feel is wrong with my understanding generally of the science.

Respectfully yours,

Charlotte Mancuso