Dabu,
My condolences to you and your family, and prayers for your brother at the
time of his death.

Since your mother is of sound mind, she will have to be told of the death of
her son.  Will a family member be near by your mother (able to visit her)
during your absence in Africa?  Is there a close friend who will be able to
visit with her frequently during your absence?

I would tell the hospital staff and her medical MDs about the death of her
son.  Your mother will probably react much as she does to any death.....some
of us mourn quietly, others become hysterical.  Your mother's Parkinsons
symptoms may become temporarily worse (as with any stressful
situation).....or adrenelin could kick in and she could temporarily respond
in a stronger (better) symptoms.  I would think the important issue to be
alert to could be long term depression.

Will there be a way to help your mother reach closure with this death?  Will
there be a local memorial service?/burial? Religious/cultural ritual perhaps,
anything to help her accept the reality of the loss?  I ask this question
because a recent loss of a young family member in our family was faced with
difficulty by her sister, who was unable to attend the funeral (she was 8
months pregnant and not permitted to travel the 2000 miles for
services)...and the lack of "closure" was a bit of an ongoing problem for
Julie.

Depending on your mother's "constitution".....her difficulty in accepting
this death may possibly be down the road a few weeks/months....rather than
immediately.

Death, and our acceptance of it is such a personal matter....that it is
difficult to advise anyone on what to expect in a response/reaction.

Rita Weeks  56/11