Dabu, I am very sad for you loss - and your dilemma.  It is always best to
be honest in regard to the death of a family member, regardless of the
condition of the person who is the concern.  Your mom can deal better with
the knowledge of your brother's death now while everyone else in the family
is mourning.  She will become part of the circle of those grieving, and find
strength and solace in the tears and pain of others.

If she isn't told of your brother's death until later, she may feel
betrayed.  She will also not be able to receive the full sympathy and
support of other family members.  Not told, she will be confused by the
distancing that naturally occurs when family and friends are trying to keep
a secret from a beloved, fragile person.

As a nurse I've had experience with families trying to keep relatives from
discovering the death of a loved one.  I'll never forget the husband with
end-stage Alzhiemers  who was a patient on my floor.  Also on our division
was his wife - she was kept on the other side of the floor in order to spare
her husband any anxiety about her condition.  When she died, no one thought
to tell him.  I was taking care of him that day and will never forget
walking into his room moments after learning that she had died.  Streaming
down his face were tears - even though no one had confided the information,
he somehow knew that his wife  had passed on.  The only way to bring him
comfort was to confirm his suspicions and allow him to grieve.
-----
God bless you during this difficult time
Mary Ann