Are you sure the wheelchair is the right size for your mother?  We got one
for Mom before she broke her hip (it's a long story), but we didn't know that
they come in different sizes.  When the physical therapist from Home Health
came after Mom came home from the nursing home, she noticed that the
wheelchair was too large and that made a big difference in the way Mother sat
in the chair--she kept leaning to one side--and it made a big difference in
how I could maneuver it through the house and at church.  The leg rests do
come off (on Mom's anyway) and as someone else
said, it does work for "walking" the chair.  One couple at the nursing home
Mom was in would go down the hall with the wife in her chair in front and the
husband "walking" his behind, pushing her.  It was so sweet.
I don't know if this will help or not, but you never know.  Good luck.
Eleanor