I need some advice. For those of you who don't know, my Mum has been diagnosed with PD since 1997. She is 78 years old and of sound mind so far.

I have just found out that one of my brother's has died suddenly abroad. My Mum was very close to him. We do not know how to go about breaking the terrible news to her. She has always been emotionally strong. However, about 9 years ago I had lost another brother very tragically, and although she shows a tough exterior, internally she is still mourning for him. I personally believe, this event probably contributed in someway to her Parkinson's becoming apparent.

Currently, she is in a Rehab hospital and I was intending to bring her home this week, but now I have to go to Africa for the funeral and settle my brother's affairs. She has been so looking forward to coming home after being in several hospitals since Sept. 2000 due to a misdiagnosis.

Those of you who have PD or are caregivers who may have had such an experience or have had to deal with bad news in anyway, could you please advise me on how best to handle this?

With much appreciation to all of you,
Dabu