Quadriplegic heads off on 'odyssey of a lifetime'

Wednesday 21 March 2001 - On a glorious spring day, near the steps of
Parliament Hill, Ottawa's Mike Nemesvary set out on "the odyssey of a
lifetime" that will take him to 16 countries over the next five months.

At the stroke of noon yesterday, Mr. Nemesvary, a quadriplegic, drove away
in a specially equipped Chevrolet Blazer on an expedition that is expected
to encompass 40,000 kilometres and four continents.

His goal is to raise awareness of the abilities of people with disabilities
and to collect up to $10 million for spinal cord research and rehabilitation.

Surrounded by family, friends and several hundred people who came to cheer
him on, an emotional Mr. Nemesvary drove past the Centennial Flame to begin
his long journey.

However, he spun around his 1991 Blazer -- fitted with a global positioning
system satellite-tracking unit, satellite phone and laptop computer with
mounting dock and printer -- and returned to the Centre Block, where he was
greeted by Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

"Good luck, we're very proud of you," Mr. Chretien told Mr. Nemesvary in
front of dozens of supporters. Mr. Nemesvary then presented Mr. Chretien
with a leather jacket from one of the trek's numerous sponsors.

Mr. Nemesvary will be accompanied on the trip by his longtime companion,
Christine Gundlack, and a friend, George Swinimer.

He hopes his journey will help to rid disabled people of the image that
they're not up to such a challenge.

"This is much more than a personal endeavour because I really believe in
the cause," Mr. Nemesvary, a former World Cup champion freestyle skier who
broke his neck in a 1985 trampoline accident, told a large crowd on
Parliament Hill.

"We're really trying to espouse the fact that people with disabilities can
achieve great things."

He is trying to become the first quadriplegic to drive around the world.

"All I can say is that I'm going to give it my best shot, that's all I can do.

"Whether I raise $1 or $10 million, at least I will have tried," he said.

Francois Belisle, chief executive officer of the Canadian Paraplegic
Association, said everyone is proud of Mr. Nemesvary's greatest challenge.

"We have been inspired by Mike and in his relentless drive and
determination to realize his dream to drive around the world," said Mr.
Belisle.

One of the Canadian Paraplegic Association's goals is to help the disabled
achieve independence. The association will administer a trust fund of money
raised by the challenge, he said.

Mr. Nemesvary's parents, Marta and Les, were on hand to see their son's
departure.

"My greatest concern for Mike as he starts his trek is for his health,"
said Mrs. Nemesvary.

She said it is difficult enough for able-bodied people to attempt a drive
through different countries, but her son faces many more obstacles.

She said living conditions in some of the countries are unlike what he is
used to in Canada.

"He will be helped by his friends on the trip, but it's still a lot of work
for him.

"But I'm happy for him and will be supporting him all along."

She called her son a "stubborn" fellow and said he always follows through
with a project if he puts his mind to it.

Late yesterday afternoon, Mr. Nemesvary was greeted by several supporters
outside of Hudson, Que., who held up a banner that read "Good Luck Mike,
Have a Safe Trip," according to Ellyn Holzman, a friend who spoke to him by
cellphone.

People will be able to follow Mr. Nemesvary's progress by logging onto his
Web site at: http://www.roundtheworldchallenge.org/   .

Tony Lofaro
The Ottawa Citizen
Copyright 2001 CanWest Interactive, a CanWest company. All rights reserved

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
PD: 54/41/37 CD: 54/44/43 TEL: 613 256 8340 EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
"A New Voice" home page: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/     .