Dear list members,
  I just subscribed to this list and am posting a message without even "lurking" for a while...so please forgive me if I am addressing an issue that has already been discussed or if I am not following the group "norms."
  My dad is 52 years old and just shared with me and my family that he has been having trembling in his right hand and a "tired" feeling in his forearm for about a year. He can control the trembling when he concentrates on his movements but when he relaxes the trembling is pronounced. I immediately thought of Parkinson's. He has seen his physician and is seeing a neurologist next week.
  Although he has not been diagnosed with Parkinson's at this point, I feel compelled to be prepared for that. I am very worried and apprehensive mainly because although I know some of the symptoms and treatments of Parkinson's, I don't know how to anticipate how my dad will feel or what he will be thinking if that is the diagnosis. I want to be able to support him, comfort him, encourage him, etc. but feel at a loss because I cannot imagine what he'll NEED. I was hoping that you all could share with me your insights into how men his age feel and what they think when they are told they have Parkinson's and what types of support, encouragement, etc. is and  is NOT useful from loved ones.

Thanks so much for your help.

Jen
--
Doctoral Student/Evaluation Consultant