George,

The first line of protection is the Americans with Disabilities act.
Under ADA your employer may have to make "reasonable
accommodations" if needed so you can meet the basic
requirements of your job.  You are not legally required to say what
your disability is, only how it limits you in doing your job (when the
time comes that it does limit you).

While I was still able to work and even before I considered applying
for disability, I was advised by a lawyer/friend to write a letter to my
employer saying that I had a disability but that I was not requesting
reasonable accommodations for it at the time.  There were two
purposes:  1) so that when my condition became noticable, no one
would imagine that I had something else and draw wrong
conclusions; and 2) as a reminder that I knew I was covered by the
Americans with Disabilities Act and was aware of my rights.

All communications to my employer were addressed to my
supervisor.  I also declared to the personnel department that I had
a disability, since I was working for an Equal Opportunity employer.

You may also be covered by state employment law.  The federal
Family and Medical Leave Act may also apply.  You need to read
up on the laws and find out what your rights are.  There is lots of
info on the Net, e.g., http://www.nolo.com.

You are fortunate that your company has a disability benefit. I was
covered first by group short term disability insurance (actually, first
all my accrued vacation pay and then sick pay was used for STD),
and when that expired, by long term disability.  In both cases it
was a medical decision supported by medical evidence supplied by
my neurologist.

Once I applied for long term disability, I also had to apply for Social
Security disability, as required by the LTD carrier.  This was
because the LTD payments would be reduced by the amount of
Social Security disability benefits.

The requirements for Social Security disability were more strict
than the requirements for LTD.  Under LTD I was disabled if I was
medically unable to do just my current job. For SSDI you must be
medically unable to do any job.

It helps if your physician has experience with the disability
application process.  It also helps if your supervisor is sympathetic.
Do you know of other people in your company who went on
disability and how that went?  Does your corporate culture favor the
younger and more energetic over the older and slower employees?

Because PD progresses slowly, it is difficult to say that as of a
certain date you have become disabled, while the day before you
were able to work.  Nevertheless that is what you and your
physician need to determine.  As a start, get a job description for
your position and itemize how all your symptoms affect what your
job requires you to do.

Re taking a less stressful job (pay cut), consider that SSDI/SSA
benefits are calculated based on the average salary from the 35
working years in which you were paid the most.

Good luck,

Phil Tompkins
Amherst MA
age 63/dx 1990