Donna and John Testa, my husband, my library's director (my boss) and I
attended a lecture by Janet Reno last night at the State University of
New York at Brockport. Her talk was sponsored by Brockport's student
government and the audience of over 1,000 included college and high
school students, teachers, and community members.

The former Attorney General spoke for about 45 minutes, mainly about her
views on  reforming the criminal justice system, family values, domestic
violence, youth violence, public service, and stories about her own
childhood.

She admitted feeling like a huge weight was lifted from her shoulders,
when she left Washington, and how nervous she was about her appearance on
Saturday Night Live :)  She said she had dealt with the enormous
pressures of her job, by often reading a quote by Abraham Lincoln,
hanging in her house, "If I was to believe everything people say about
me, I might as well close this shop for business.."  and by talking to
her brothers and sisters on the phone. She did not talk about how the
pressures affected her PD symptoms.

She talked about her vision of  diverse groups, such as law enforcement,
health care and social agencies working together to deal with drug abuse
offenders and violent youths. Reno also appealed to the community to work
together with the business and health care sector to find new ways of
caring for the aged in their homes. She did not mention the disabled or
chronically ill.

 During her 45 minute lecture, the tremors in both her hands were very
evident. As in the past, she has never hidden her identity as a PWP, but
she did not mention Parkinson's Disease once in her talk.

Near the beginning of  the Question & Answer session, which eventually
ran over an hour, John Testa stood up before the crowded room, his own
tremors as visible as hers, and asked  Janet Reno:

" Like you and over 1.5 million other Americans, I have Parkinson's
Disease. Thank you for helping to make the public aware of Parkinson's
Disease. Now that  you are a private citizen how are you going to become
involved in the  movement to obtain more research funding for Parkinsons
and particularly federal funding for stem cell research?"

She replied that as attorney general she believed she  represented
everyone in the country, including those with many other diseases - some
more severe, some less severe than hers, and in her public service
position, felt she could not advocate for a specific disease. Now that
she is a private citizen she said she does intend to get involved and do
whatever she can to help.  She also mentioned that she thought the many
Parkinson's organizations would be more effective if they worked
together.
She did not address the stem cell research issue.

We came away from the lecture admiring all she has accomplished, her
ideals, her desire to help people and to make a difference. We were
disappointed that she did not make a stronger and more committed
statement about Parkinson's advocacy. Perhaps this was not the time nor
the place for her to do so. We hope that she will take on a more active
role, now that she is a private citizen, and we're certain the
Parkinson's community would welcome her abilities, strength and caring.

As a postscript, one of the Rochester TV news programs reported on the
lecture, concluding with,  " Reno did not announce any specific plans for
the future. She said that she would continue to raise awareness about
Parkinson's disease."
Amen.

Linda