Milk awareness
----- Original Message -----
From: "Listadmin" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Ervin McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 2:23 AM
Subject: Public Awareness Announcement #20

Health Freedom Resources - Public Awareness Announcement #20

This PAA centers around the connection between
Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes
and the consumption of dairy products.

It is brought to you by the Not Milk
Man himself, Robert Cohen.

www.notmilk.com

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a common neurological disease,
affecting approximately 300,000  Americans.  Two-thirds
of those diagnosed with MS are women.

Most researchers believe that MS is an auto immune disease.
Auto means "self."  The body's reaction to a foreign protein is to
destroy that antigen-like invader with an antibody.  The antibody
then turn upon one's own cells.  That is an auto-immune response.
In the case of MS, the body's response is to attack the outer
membrane-protecting nerve cells, or the myelin sheath.

Symptoms of MS include tingling or numbness of the limbs,
paralyses, and  vision problems.  Sometimes MS patients
experience slurred speech accompanied by chronic pain.

MS costs approximately $2.5 billion each year in America.
MS is found in milk-drinking populations.  It is interesting to note
that Eskimos and Bantus (50 million living in East Africa) rarely
get MS.  Neither do those native North and South American
Indian or Asian populations that consume no dairy products.

Many physicians have noted a dairy link to MS.
Many little clues have been reinforced by one
very large clue, just published.  Each clue provides
a piece of the puzzle.

Norway has the highest rates of milk and dairy
consumption in the world.  Dr. Ashton F. Embry
analyzed geographical regions, and provides this dairy clue:

http://www.DIRECT-MS.org/

He writes:

"...In Norway MS is up to five times more
common in the inland farming areas than in the
relatively nearby coastal fishing areas."

John McDougall, M.D., cites the British medical journal
Lancet in pointing out that a diet filled with dairy
products has been closely linked to the development of
MS. (The Lancet 1974;2:1061)

Dr. Luther Lindner is involved in clinical MS experiments
at Texas A & M University College of Medicine.  Lindner,
a pathologist, writes on his website:

"It might be prudent to limit the intake of milk and milk products..."

http://www.sky.net/~dporter/MSCFSABX.htm

A worldwide study published in the journal Neuroepidemiology
revealed an association between eating dairy foods (cow's milk,
butter, and cream) and an increased prevalence of MS.
(Neuroepidemiology 1992;11:304-12.)

The April 1, 2001 issue of the Journal of Immunology will contain
a study linking MS to milk consumption.  It has long been established
that early exposure to bovine proteins is a trigger for insulin
dependent diabetes mellitus.  Researchers have made that same
milk consumption connection to MS.

The July 30, 1992 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine
first reported the diabetes auto immune response milk connection:

"Patients with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus produce
antibodies to cow milk proteins that participate in the
development of islet dysfunction... Taken as a whole, our
findings suggest that an active response in patients with
IDDM (to the bovine protein) is a feature of the auto immune
response."

In October of 1996, The Lancet reported:

"Antibodies to bovine beta-casein are present in over a third
of IDDM patients and relatively non-existent in healthy individuals."

Two months later (December 14, 1996), The Lancet revealed:

"Cow's milk proteins are unique in one respect: in industrialized
countries they are the first foreign proteins entering the infant gut,
since most formulations for babies are cow milk-based.  The
first pilot stage of our IDD prevention study found that oral
exposure to dairy milk proteins in infancy resulted in both cellular
and immune response...this suggests the possible importance
of the gut immune system to the pathogenesis of IDD."

THE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS/MILK CONNECTION

Michael Dosch, M.D., and his team of researchers have determined
that multiple sclerosis and type I (juvenile) diabetes mellitus are far
more closely linked than previously thought.  Dosch attributes
exposure to cow milk protein as a risk factor in the development
of both diseases for people who are genetically susceptible.  According
to Dosch:

"We found that immunologically, type I diabetes and multiple
sclerosis are almost the same - in a test tube you can barely tell
the two diseases apart.  We found that the auto-immunity was
not specific to the organ system affected by the disease. Previously
it was thought that in MS auto-immunity would develop in the central
nervous system, and in diabetes it would only be found in the
pancreas. We found that both tissues are targeted in each disease."
(Journal of Immunology, April, 2001)

I hope this helps to inform you about some of the hidden health hazards
from the routine consumption of commercial dairy products. Thanks.

PUBLIC AWARENESS ANNOUNCEMENTS - BACK ISSUES:

http://www.healthfree.com/paa/index.html

#19 - SARAFEM - Prozac behind a mask.

#17 - Soy Alert!

#16 - Coffee - Earth's Deadly Poison

#15 - The Ritalin Lie

#14 - Dangers of Vaccinations

#13 - Mom Cures Child by Eliminating Milk

#12 - Alka-Seltzer, Contac, Dexatrim, etc., Warnings!!

#11 - Cancelled

#10 - Milk is Bad, Um'Kay II

# 9 - Milk is Bad, Um'Kay

# 8 - Aluminum - Metal Poison

# 7 - Soft Drinks - Hardcore Toxicity

# 6 - Why Organic Really is Better

# 5 - 101 Reasons Why I am a Vegetarian

# 4 - Say NO to Canola Oil

# 3 - Aspartame (Nutrasweet) Kills

# 2 - Fluoride - Cure or Curse?

# 1 - Radiation Ovens, the Proven Dangers
        of Microwaves

Thank you,

Ron Radstrom,
Founder
Health Freedom Resources

Copyright 2000 Health Freedom Resources, Inc. All rights
reserved.

Health Freedom Resources may be contacted at:
727-443-7711 phone  /  727-442-4139 fax
website: http://www.healthfree.com

Herbal formulas may be obtained from
Southern Botanicals at:
727-461-5455 phone  /  727-442-4139 fax
website: http://www.botanicals.net

We do not share your email or other information with anyone.

Please share your successes with us by emailing us at

Sign up for our FREE Spirit of Health newsletter. Just email us
at [log in to unmask] and type "Newsletter Request" in the
 subject line.

This Alert is not intended to be sent unsolicited. It is sent
only to those who have earlier requested information from us, or
who have obtained books or products from us.

Disclaimer: The staff of HFR, Inc. and Southern Botanicals are
not doctors and do not diagnose, prescribe for or treat any
disease, nor do they dispense medical advice. Our mission is to
provide information which the individual may apply according to
his own free choice. Herbs and herbal formulas are classed as
foods; any mentions of them and their uses are intended solely as
 nutritional support. No health claims of any kind are made for
any product or formula mentioned herein. If you have or may have
an illness, consult your licensed health practitioner. HFR, Inc.
and Southern Botanicals are not affiliated with any physician or
health practitioner.