Jen,

I will be 52 this July and was diagnosed April 93. The symptoms you describe
are exactly what made me go to see my GP - writing was esp. difficult. My
first thoughts were MS having seen a friend with it.

My immediate thoughts on the day I was told, as I left the Hospital building
was to look up to the sky and say, "Dear God, you're going to really have to
help me with this one". How would my family take the news and would it cause
us to breakup, for i had read that many partners had left the one with PD
unable to face dealing with it, or they simply went into denial. I have 4
children: 3 daughters (23, 20 and 18) and a son(15). At the time (93) each
weekend we would go somewhere and do something (visit zoo's, london parks,
have a pizza etc. I esp. liked showing them around london). I was esp. worried
about how much time i would have with my son because my father died when i was
15.

I decided to not let PD beat me, to carry on working for as long as possible,
to not read any books on PD (esp. latter stages) and to delay medication for
as long as possible. My job, IT Project Mgr with GE Info. svcs, was very
demanding and stressful, I managed to keep going until 8/96 when i took early
retirement.
I continued wrapping up projects and writing procedures thru to 1/97. The rest
of 97 i didn't do much and 98 was a very bad year for i couldn't do anything
for myself.

In 99 i started medication, pergolide. By the July I was almost my old self.
I'll never forget the day,2nd July, when i drove myself to church - i cried
with joy all the way there and thru mass. I contnued to imp. and started
taking my english springer for long walks, on my own. I do a lot of cooking
and help friends and neighbours with their PC requirements(sourcing,
installation and support). I also apply my consultancy skills in advising
people on various matters, jobs etc. My main project this year is to finish
landscaping my garden, with a view to offer landscaping services.

PD is not an end, it is a begining of a new phase. Your Dad will be amazed at
how much time he will have to do all the things he may never had time for
before.

What can you do for him? Love him, hug him, treat him no differently and tell
him you love him; which i can tell you do very  much.

My family, with the exception of my youngest daughter, show indifference esp.
my wife, who i feel wants to leave me.

The benefits of pergolide are begining to wear off and i will soon start
either madopar or sinemet.

I would be happy to talk to you or your dad.

Kind regards,

Marco
London, England