Eleanor,

Thanks so much for responding to my inquiry. . .I'm attempting to learn more
about wheelchairs because my mother, who is in a nursing home, has
difficulties maneuvering her chair and constantly complains to the social
work dept. and the physical therapy people.  She has had 4 or 5 different
chairs over the past 2 years. . .she had the same problem your mom did with
the chair that was too big (slumping to one side).  Several times she has
fallen out of her chair, because she was trying to do something she shouldn't
have  been doing and the lighter weight chair fell on top of her. . .but the
heavier chair makes it more difficult for her to wheel.

From their experience the staff doesn't think there is a better chair for her
than the one she has right now (brand new, seems to be the right size and
moves and swivels easily when I push it). . but they don't want to ignore her
complaints and have told us to look into it and if we find something better,
we could purchase it.  So, I really think that it is my mom's physical
condition more than the wheelchair, but I told her I would do some research.
. .I've contacted wheelchair manufacturers and gotten several catalogs. .
.but don't want to get roped into buying something that will probably be no
better than what she has.

Well, thanks so much for your input (and listening to me). . .seeing that
couple in the nursing home must have been so heartwarming!

Take care,
Cathy