Wednesday, January 31, 2001
Ethicist says Canada should allow human cloning
By DENNIS BUECKERT-- The Canadian Press
 OTTAWA (CP) -- There is nothing inherently wrong with human
cloning and Canada should not ban it, says a prominent ethicist.

 Tim Caulfield, research director of the University of Alberta's Health
Law Institute, is one of the first reputable researchers in Canada
-- if not the first -- to publicly oppose a ban on cloning people.

 He sees nothing wrong with using reproductive cloning -- made
famous by Dolly the sheep -- to produce an individual genetically
identical to another person.

 Those who argue cloning is offensive to human dignity are in
effect adopting a view that humans are no more than the sum of
their genes, Caulfield suggested in an interview Wednesday.

 "I believe that human beings are so much more than just their
genes."

 Caulfield acknowledged that there are important safety concerns
associated with cloning people -- for example, clones might be
more susceptible to cancer or some other medical condition.
But that indicates a need for oversight by a government agency,
not  a criminal ban, he said.

 "With a criminal law against cloning . . . we're casting a possible
chill over possible scientific inquiry that may be beneficial.
When you have a criminal law, it sends a strong symbolic
statement."

 Canada is one of the few advanced countries that currently
has no ban on human cloning, either for research purposes
or for reproduction.

 The federal government is grappling with how to regulate new
genetic technologies, and legislation is expected during the
current mandate.

 Margaret Somerville of the McGill Centre for Medicine, Ethics
and Law, supports a clear prohibition on replication of humans
through biotechnology.

 She said the aversion of most Canadians to cloning -- verified
by public opinion polls -- is well-founded.

 "I think it carries great dangers apart from being inherently
wrong. Just because we can do it doesn't mean that we can
assume it's fine to go ahead."

 She said some people want to produce replicas of themselves,
but that creates many problems, including that the cloned child
would lack opportunities for normal bonding.

 Somerville doesn't buy the mad scientist scenario, where some
renegade creates an army of Hitlers, but sees the reaction of most
people as a warning signal.

 "I think our fear is justified here, of what kind of people would
we become, what would it mean to be human, what kind of world
would we create, if we did this?"

 Somerville also opposes permitting the cloning of embryos for
research, as Britain has proposed to do.

 Under the British regime, research embryos would not live more
than a couple of weeks.

 "I have grave reservations about how hardened we might
become, to what we're prepared to do to human life, if we start
using human embryos as just another thing, another product,
as . . .  a human organ manufacturing plant."

 Caulfield likes the British proposal. He doesn't think cloning
would become widespread even if it were permitted.

 "I really think by creating simplistic prohibitions against
cloning, you're giving legitimacy to the hyperbole that
surrounds the genetic revolution?"

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSScience0101/31_eth-cp.html