Thursday, April 5, 2001
By CHRIS GERRITSEN, CALGARY SUN
A YOUNG MAN'S JOURNEY
Parkinson's disease has had an enormous amount of media attention
since actor Michael J. Fox, who suffers from the disease, began using
his high profile to further educate people about this chronic disorder
which attacks the nervous system.
Muhammad Ali, Johnny Cash, Golden Girl Estelle Getty, evangelist Billy
Graham and U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno also have Parkinson's.
These too are high profile people, but the disease, like any other, affects
people from all walks of life.
One such person here in the city making an effort to help raise
awareness and funds to fight Parkinson's is Calgarian Bob Walker.
Walker, a 23-year-old Ecotourism student at Mount Royal College, is
preparing to embark on a journey to raise money for Parkinson's
research and support.
"Each individual person can make such a difference in one cause," says
Walker, whose father has Parkinson's.
The 7,750-km trek involves traveling to Mexico by bicycle and making
his way back to Calgary on foot.
Walker says he wants to combine an adventurous experience, which will
help him earn his Ecotourism degree, with doing something for his family
and others coping with this progressive disorder.
"I think it's pretty ambitious and I'm giving him as much support as I can
from this end," says Allan Derbyshire, co-ordinator of the applied
Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership degree at MRC.
Walker leaves Calgary April 26 and expects to travel about 200 km a day
and reach the Mexican border in 22 days or so.
When he arrives in Mexico, he will be met by friend Katrina Becker.
Becker, a student at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., is also raising
money for the disease. Walker and Becker will hike together all the way
back to Canada making the effort a truly international endeavour.
Walker still needs a sponsor and is still raising money through pledges
for his trip. If you're interested in supporting his mammoth task, you can
check out his website at http://www.geocities.com/bobwalker14 or call
the Parkinson's Society of Southern Alberta at 243-9901.

http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-04-05-0012.html

********