Well, here it is.... Barb Mallutt, have you seen "Ernie" prowlin'
'roun' yer digs??  Not harbourin' a fugitive are ya??

Cheers ........... murray

Friday, April 6, 2001
First family's cat missing
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- An orange-and-white tabby cat named Ernie who
used to make his home with George W. Bush is missing from his new
home in Los Angeles.
The first family, who gave Ernie up over fears he would claw White
House treasures, is "concerned that Ernie's off in a faraway land by
himself now," Noelia Rodriguez, press secretary for first lady Laura
Bush, said Thursday.
Brad Freeman, an investment banker and Bush fund-raiser, brought
Ernie home in January. The cat disappeared from his Brentwood home a
few weeks ago.
"It's obviously very sad, but we're still hopeful that we'll find him,"
Freeman said. "I check with three animal shelters daily, and we've got
posters up all around the neighborhood."
On the campaign trail, Bush often told the story of how he and his wife
found Ernie as a kitten in a tree, wet and frightened. He said his story
showed "if you just hang in there and never give up, things will get
better for you, just like they did for Ernie."
Rodriguez said the first family members "know that Ernie has a record of
landing in some good homes, so maybe his third life will be just as nice."
The first family's other pets -- a cat and two dogs -- are adjusting well to
White House life, Rodriguez said.
Ernie wasn't the only cat to get the heave-ho when the White House
changed hands. Socks, the Clinton cat who didn't get along with dog
Buddy, was adopted by the ex-president's secretary, Betty Currie.

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSWeirdNews0104/06_cat-ap.html

*********