[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have spent significant time at altitude (walk up Mt.Whitney twice),
> trips to Nepal and Tibet, multiple US mountain resorts etc. and
> actually acclimitized better than some who did not later develop
> diagnosis of PD.  I have also been through the atititude literature
> and d not recall any comments about Damox and PD.
>
> Any references to this subject would be appreciated.  Except for
> cross sensitivity to sulf drugs there are few dangers from diamox
> in the doses recommended for use in altitude problems.  I would
> love to hear about other information on this subject.  Susceptibility
> to altitude illness is most likely related to central brain modulation
> of response to reduced barometric pressure and/or oxygen
> availibility in the inspired air mixture.  Is there some relationship
> between the central neural sites controlling response to altitude and
> those reated to developent of PD ??

Here are my only items relating Diamox and PD. However I've
since seen items that I didn't save, about trials in which the
efficacy of Diamox for AMS was disputed.

Factor, S: Movement Disorders 1993;8:240-241:
Acetazolamide (Diamox), used to prevent and treat acute mountain
sickness, dramatically reduced menstrual-related fluctuations of PD
symptoms. Formal trial is urged.

Baloh R et al; Neur 1995;45:458-460:
In one large family, migraine seems to be inherited, with links to
vertigo and essential tremor. All symptoms improved by acetazolamide
(Diamox).

Cheers,
Joe

--