hi all

At 02:56 2001/04/09 -0500, Jorge A Romero MD wrote:
>To Parkinsn list:
>In the last four weeks, I have been infected twice with
>this worm  after reading the Parkinsn list postings.
>I  do not know which posts carry the worm.  Norton antivirus
>detected it as an infected WININIT.EXE file.
>It is relatively easy to deal with this nuisance worm.  One URL
>which can give you information and solutions to infections with this worm is:
>http://www.securityportal.com/research/virus/profiles/w32hllwbymer.html
>For those who do not have antivirus software, there is a site that
>will scan your computer for free:
>http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp
>Jorge Romero

mailing lists do NOT cause or spread viri
ill-informed individual users do

you did not get infected by reading parkinsn list postings
you got infected because your e-mail program is set to open attachments

the best and only sure way to avoid the viri
which are commonly spread via e-mail as microsoft outlook interprets it
is to use a non microsoft e-mail program
and set the user preferences to NEVER open attachments automatically

for e-mail groups like this listserv as stated here many times
it is also best to set 'multi-part' messaging to off.

plain 'ascii 7-bit text' is the ONLY format suitable for general e-mail use
not '8-bit', not 'plain text', not 'html text'

as a rule, i delete any and all attachments,
unless i am specifically expecting something from someone i know

abstention or avoidance is much simpler than repairing the illness
just like with the aids virus

janet
virus free since eighty three

janet paterson, an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
PD: 54/41/37 CD: 54/44/43 TEL: 613 256 8340 EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
"a new voice" home page: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/     .