Date sent:              Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:44:32 -0500
Send reply to:          Jorge A Romero MD <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Jorge A Romero MD
Subject:                Re: Worm / be virus free
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> It also identifies me as a possible source of infection in case others
> do get infected.  I have cleaned my computer following the Symantec
> instructions carefully, and I NEVER send attachments to mailing lists.
>  In addition, I have tried to provide the necessary information for
> anyone who may fall victim of the same infection.

Jorge,

I'll wager that you are using Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express as
your mailer.  There are "holes" in those mailers big enough to drive a
Mack truck through.  They are set to default at HTML management
(which makes the mail "fancy" but which opens up the door to worms
such as the Kakworm, etc.).  I will not use a Microsoft mailer just for
this reason.

There are several excellent mailers available.  Eudora Pro costs about
$30.00 and Pegasus Mail (which I use) is free.  Both of them have
good filtering capabilities and, along with Norton Anti-Virus, can
prevent infection.  I get at least one virus attack a week and the
Norton program immediately quaranties it and Pegasus will not let it
come through.  With the HTML script viruses (such as the ones
currently circulating), you don't have to open any attachments to get
infected; you only have to receive HTML mail.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"