Hi All,

I just posted 7 similar news stories based on a press release from a NJ
biotech firm claiming to have a breakthrough in stem cell technology.

Why 7?  Well, they are representitive of 7 different journalistic "takes"
emenating from ONE company teleconferenced "press release".

It is important to note no peer reviewed study exists to support the
press release or in fact, any of these "stories".

It is important to consider that these "stories" run verbatim over a
myriad of media outlets and WILL find their way into the homes and
offices of the political decision makers of the nation, if not the world.

It is important to consider the impact of these "stories" on our
researchers, scientests, doctors, advocates, senators, congressmen, and
all of their advisors.

Think about this... Do "they" read JAMA, NEJM, BMJ, LANCET, or are
they more likely to be exposed to CNN, Washington Post, New York
Times, Fox, etc.??  Or influenced by TV or their wife/husband/family?

Are "they" gonna focus on "Since the stem cells in the placenta are so
plentiful," Haines said, "we believe our process will make obsolete the
need to use human embryos or aborted fetuses as source of embryonic
stem cell research."

Or, will "they" read on to ...  "The company's claims have not yet been
independently verified. None of AnthroGen's research has been
published or reviewed and duplicated by peers.  The information was
only released in a teleconference to reporters."

AnthroGen says their work will be published in several parts in
upcoming journals.  Soo... why didn't they wait??

We may never see a peer reviewed study but decisions affecting all of
our futures may be made based on "stories" journalists rend from one
press release.

The journalists and their points of view have an enormous influence.

Sometimes their influence may also be what they choose NOT to say...

We need to be aware and to beware.....  The media has tremendous clout!

Don't get me wrong.... I love the technology that brings me the "stories".
 It also enables this mechanic to share an occasional viewpoint!

I sincerely hope this is the breakthrough that AnthroGen claim.

Best regards ...... murray