Hello Murray and Joe:

Murray, online  journals are becoming more convenient, but...

A lot of the on-line journals have delayed access to free,full text--
like six months, a year or two years.
So, it is hard to stay 'current',
except for abstracts of topics of interest.
It is possible to buy in, through a subscription,
but, that would be very expensive for an individual.

More articles will be available in the future.

Nothing compares to access to the whole article.
An example is our  recent discussion about the
fetal implant paper (Freed et al) reviewed by the New York Times.

This past month, I downloaded about 50 Meg of .PDF  files...
that would have been impossible on my old computer... So,
computer configuration and storage can be limiting.

Down loading text abstracts (not the entire article)
from Pub Med can be done 500 at the time.
Scanning through the abstracts can be informative and then
the full article can be ordered from a library.
Sometimes, there is a fee associated
with ordering some articles from the library.

Every time I spend a day at the library it costs
$25-30 for day care (if grandmother isn't available).
The small University library  that is near me is
very limited in its supply of medical journals.

Joe, I think that what you are doing is great.
I would suggest that you  cut back on your activity,
if necessary... and continue at a comfortable,
but sustained and pleasurable, level.

Ray

Murray Charters wrote:

> Gee Joe,
> Have ya looked at all of these??  :-)  ........ murray
>
> On-line Medical News & Articles

<<<<<<<<<<<< big snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> ******************************
>
> On 10 Apr 2001, at 22:49, J. R. Bruman wrote:
>
> > Six years is a long life for a PIE feature like the Current Sicence
> > Reviews, and I hope to keep on for a while, since I still derive
> > pleasure from using it myself and sharing with other PIE forum members.
> > But vibes are bad; not only the increasing slowness from PD making me
> > busier than ever and getting less done, but the Kaiser hospital library
> > that is my basic resource has cut its meager journal subscription list
> > again. I used to scan just 6 monthly and 3 weekly publications, now 3 of
> > the most useful are gone. I'll take a month or so to look for possible
> > alternatives, and we'll see. Cheers, Joe -- J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
> > 3527 Cody Road Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-5013
> >

> ******

                                 Ray Strand
                             Prairie Sky Design
 -----------------(   on  the Edge of the Prairie Abyss  )---------------