The young doctor on the fellowship was very informative and we discussed
that the size of the needle is generally a 34 gauge, which I knew wouldn't
create any problems and should not create any discomfort that was
intolerable. And I really am not squeamish about needles.

The major problem wasn't that it caused "pain" initially, but as they messed
around and had me contract the muscles and push against their hands, etc,
the muscles went into tremors then into cramps. The young doctor on
fellowship was really good as far as placement of the needle. The
experienced doctor came in and was so interested in showing her how the
muscles were tremoring and looking at the different muscle groups and how
they tremored that he pulled the needle out of the lower leg and "placed"-
felt more like he jabbed it - into my left thigh. Then he had me raise my
leg, but by that time the muscles were on their way to major tremoring and
cramping! After he had me put my leg back down on the table, he said "now
relax your leg." Yea right! I told him I was trying, but IT was operating on
its own and there wasn't anything "I" could do! Then, figuring they either
had what they needed from the leg data OR the leg was a lost cause at that
point, he went to the left arm. It was doing ok until he placed the needle
between my thumb and index finger, which is where the major area of cramping
occurs on my left hand. We never got that one relaxed again during that
session! I am also sure that by this time stress had started playing a BIG
role! What were they going to DO next!? I also wonder what part, if any, the
nerve conduction/electro-shocking played in the tremors and cramping.
Perhaps if the two procedures had been performed on different days allowing
a recovery time, the muscles would not have reacted so much. Anyway just a
thought!

>  I have had two EMGs and only felt the needles. The are solid
>  , not like a hypodermic needle and don't wobble and cause
>  pain. I may well have been the doctors who took the time to
>  show me the needles, tell me what they for, knew what they
>  were doing, and then after that carefully told me the exact
>  exercises to do. Many years later I am still doing them.
>
>  Fairly recently I had more back surgery and was prescribed
>  the same exercises. (the surgery was near the same place- so
>  maybe that is it.
>
>  I just cannot call that sensation "pain". If you have to
>  have one ask your doctor to show you the needle and talk a
>  little while. Honestly they will if you ask. Let them know
>  what you want and you will get.it. Just be nice.

Fran Peck
Email: [log in to unmask]

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/