YES! If u are in a certain age bracket when u go on disability, there
are different requirements for how may credits in a certain amount of
CONTINUOS work to qualify. I was suppose to have Many SSDI workers seem
to think (?) that teachers made all this money and don't need ssdi or
don't deserve it. I am really tired of hearing about how much money we
make in the teaching field. I could only imagine how tired docs are
about hearing that also.

ANYWAY....I feel like the govt. supports the attitude of don't work and
don't go to college after age 23, don't get ill (medical expenses do not
count on FASTA aid for college), BUT buy  a car on payments and charge
up ur visa and mastercard over what u can afford. If u follow this u get
the many govt. programs.  HOWEVER, honestly I am glad I went to college
and grad school and worked in the schools because the of the kids and
the health benefits it offers. The starting pay was 40 k a year less
than the schools starting (22k with a speech language path. master and
board certified-CCC), but now my yearly medical costs are way more than
that. WHen I was healthy I witnessed many medical bills by others and
wasn't fooled into the high salary. However, sometimes I feel like i am
kicked in the face for taking the educated route by the ones who did
take that route.

Also, why do I have to pay federal taxes  on my teachers pension when
they do not tax ssdi??? Oh... because ssdi recipients for the most part
if they paid into SS already paid taxes on the money that was taken
out.  AND it is looked at like a retirement benefit. Taxed at a lower
rate when u retire because u make less money. So ...What happens to the
person who never worked and they get ill/disabled??

Also,the 2 persent raise I get (about 20 bucks a months) is taken by the
govt. because my medical expenses are so high but not  higher than what
it allows for nursing home care (about 3700 a month ) reality is about
5-6 k a month for nursing home care. So it is cheaper to keep me at
home. It is my choice to stay at home.

Just a side story to Lil's difficulty with how one says she is disabled
and if u are disable u can't work (due to public outcry worries of
teachers for example making to much on their pension- God forbid!:)
verses the govt.. u aren't disabled.

nancy m.

samantha pudge wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 22:20:17    janet paterson wrote:
> >cross posted

> >Yes logic has taken a backseat. Social security denied
> >after 12 years of PD and a state teaching retirement
> >that says I am disabled and does NOT permit you to
> >work.
> >
> >many people go through this and eventually it should go thru.
>
> ssi will be denied for me and probably never go through.  to receive ssi, you must had 29 quarters (i have) AND the 20 of them must be in the last 10 years (i don't).  as a teacher, i no longer pay into social security.  supposely, our teacher retirement plan has disabily.  as a part time instructor, my disabilty benfint is next to nothing.

standards.